• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959 Franklin 50c Rev. 2 over Rev. 1

10 posts in this topic

Hard to understand the question. The type 1 and 2 are due to proof dies being used for the reverse on non proof coins. The main difference is the small eagle. Can not imagine how one would get a die with both

The type 1 and type 2 had to do more with proofs from what I understand. Type 1 was used until 1955 and slightly into 1956 where about 10% were type 1's the rest type 2's. On business strikes, from what I understand, they used type 1 dies throughout the series. I do recall reading something about a type 1 over type 2 being possible, and it sounds really cool or whatever. But to me and what I'm seeing in the pic, why isn't it just a really neat DDR? The doubling is evident in the E Pluribus Unum also. ...

Interesting coin

There is a type 2 for 1958 and 1959 business strikes. The reverse has the reverse of a proof die.

The 1958 is much rarer that the 1959, It was noted by someone that they were only produced in the last half of the year. If looking at the small eagle one can count the wing feathers each side. The proof reverse ones have one less feather and more defined eagle. You can look at any proof after 1956 to see what the eagle is supposed to look like for the type 2.

NGC does not currently certify the franklin type 2 reverses.

It is not listed under the half's in the cherry pickers guide. However if you will look under the quarters for the type 2 reverses there is a lines that says, "also occurred on some franklin halfs"

I can't see what you are talking about from that picture.

The only way that you could have a "Rev. 2 over Rev. 1" is if a different hub was used in the die sinking process. This is what happened when the two 1942 over 1 dime varieties were made. If that is what happened here then you should evidence of both designs on the tiny eagle.

For those who are unfamiliar about this, here are photos of two types of eagles on the reverse of the Franklin half dollar.

Type 1

Type%201%20eagle_zpsjkhiptnc.jpg

Type 2

Type%202%20eagle_zpsae27olh8.jpg

Another Danbury coin club member today had a 1959 Franklin half that he said is the Rev. 2 over the Rev. 1 and I said I would ask here if anyone has information on this.

http://i.imgur.com/YxeYlMR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/FftrArd.jpg

The Type B reverse was designed for Proof halves in 1956. In 1958, a relatively small number of retired Proof dies were used to coin business strike halves. The more tapered lettering and the redesigned eagle are the easiest ways to tell them apart. In 1959, a much larger quantity of business strike halves were produced with retired Proof dies. A handful of the earliest strikes are so reflective that they quite closely resemble actual Proofs and approach DMPL quality (close inspection reveals flatness in strike and generic quality planchets, confirming they are business strike coins).

Most guides and grading services are not currently recognizing the Type 2 Reverse Franklins yet, though they have been recognizing the similar, Type B quarters for some time now.

One 1959 reverse die shows the Type 1 hubbed over a Type 2, creating Doubled Die Reverse FS-801. The differences in design cause the lines of the motto and bell to diverge in places, creating nice doubling.

Here are some examples from our website:

Recently Sold 1958 Type 2 Reverse Franklin

1959 Type 2 Reverse Franklin

1959 Type 1 / Type 2 DDR FS-801 Franklin

Yes, the coin in the OP appears to be the FS-801. You can see the "extra wings" in between the regular wings on the eagle. Not a huge premium, but still a cool coin.

For more info on the 1959 Type I and Type II business strikes, you can look here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=3490208