• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipped?

12 posts in this topic

If that coin has been dipped, it's not obvious to me.

Find a color-free silver bust coin of any denomination and you will almost certainly have found a dipped coin. The same will usually (though not always) be the case with a color-free silver seated coin.

Other candidates are coins which have been dipped and improperly rinsed, such that they exhibit evidence of splotches/retoning and/or light colored stained areas, where the former toning had etched into the surface of the coin.

If you really look carefully at this coin it appears the luster is pretty much intact. Overdipped coins tend to look really washed out. While this one has a hint of that, the luster still dominates.

Then again, it's all limited by the picture.

older dies will produce coins like your last one shown

- wavy fields and mushy periphery

an 'overdipped' coin will lose its luster

many properly dipped coins just look great

I was browsing eBay, and I saw this. This is what dipping looks like, right?

$_12.JPG

There is no evidence of dipping visible in the images.

On another note, these seem to be shot under a translucent bulb that makes the features look more glossy than they actually are, and which washes out imperfections.

I thought the duller, rough surface was a dipping tipoff. To me it seems similar to this:

dipped.jpg

What is the main difference?

This coin has a rough, satiny and frosty texture to the luster, which is how some of these come, especially the late 1950s and early 1960s Denver pieces. Dipping does not cause roughness. Microscopically, it actually smooths out the tiny ridges as metal is eaten away from overdipping. This results in a lackluster appearance.

This coin probably was dipped, however, based on unnatural stripped brilliant color and traces of mellowing at the rims (but that could just be a bad picture too).