• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1953 Canadian $1 varieties

5 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm trying to figure these out, and not even Charlton is solving it for me.

Some discussion refers to a 'strap,' some to a 'shoulder fold.' Where on Her youthful Majesty is this feature found, specifically? Is there a shoulder strap on her, and how far does it extend when present?

The discussion about the flaring in the I in DEI is clear enough. What's not clear is what is a 'wire' rim. Ideas?

Thanks.

The shoulder fold or strap is a loop on the queens right shoulder - I like to think of it as the strap over her shoulder holding up her dress. A wire rim is a sharp raised area around the periphery just inside the reeding - occasionally seen on uncirculated business strikes and proofs of all years.

$_57.JPG

Thanks, e1cnr. So the strap is just visible where her shoulder is silhouetted, not further down? My dilemma was, I was not sure how sharp a strike it took to bring the strap out. I didn't want to just look at the indentations near her collarbone and figure I had the straps, if they were a faint image going down her back as well.

The wire rim, well, that's easy to spot now that I understand it. Much appreciated!

I think there are errors in the image. The left coin appears to have a wire rim and shoulder fold, and the right coin looks like flat rims and no shoulder fold.