• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Prooflike Flying Eagle Cent

20 posts in this topic

Some series are very difficult to find in a prooflike condition. Some are nearly impossible. Prooflike copper is incredibly hard to find - across all series. I've been looking for a prooflike Flying Eagle for a long time, and while I've watched a couple cross the auction block, bidding has always been spirited. (A PL Indian cent is even harder - and PL Lincolns are just not found).

So, when I saw the current coin come up in the recent ANA Stacks auction, I knew that I was going to go all in. Over the past year or two, prooflike coins have been really hot. Fortunately, they seem to have cooled off again. I was able to win this coin for significantly less than my max bid, and for about half of what an example sold for at Heritage a couple of years ago.

The Flying Eagle cent was a very short-lived series. The patterns of 1856 are very popular, but regular issues were only minted in 1857 and 1858. The 1858 coins are divided into two subtypes, the Large and Small letter varieties. Prooflikes are known for 1857 and 1858 Small Letters; no 1858 Large letters have been designated PL. Out of the entire graded population for the series, only 9 have been worthy of the PL (and I'm guessing at least a couple of those are resubmissions). 64PL is the highest grade.

My coin is an attractive coin. The strike is average, showing some weakness on the wreath and feathers. The surfaces are attractively colored, and exhibit light die polish. There is a small lamination under the date which detracts some. Minor spotting on the reverse also tends to limit the grade. The mirrors are not terribly strong, but strong enough for the PL designation. In hand, this coin is clearly different from a typical business strike. It is graded NGC MS-64PL, and I am extremely proud to add this coin to my set.

Taking pictures of this coin was incredibly difficult. I am still not completely satisfied with these pictures. I tried using some tips from Mark Goodman's book (which helped), but the results are still missing something. If anyone has any experience photographing proof or prooflike Flying Eagle cents, I'd be willing to hear what you recommend.

IMG_1270%20copy_zpsmarc6ewu.jpg

IMG_1291%20copy_zpsl9ugaynp.jpg

Minor spotting on the reverse also tends to limit the grade.

Beautiful and rare piece no doubt.

Could you have possibly meant "spots on the obverse" instead of reverse? I don't see anything on the reverse.

Minor spotting on the reverse also tends to limit the grade.

Beautiful and rare piece no doubt.

Could you have possibly meant "spots on the obverse" instead of reverse? I don't see anything on the reverse.

There are a few carbon flecks on the obverse, as seen in these pictures. There is also a bit of spotting on the reverse that doesn't really show up in my pictures, especially in the fields around the denomination. It is minor, but in hand it is obvious.

Personally I would send it to Todd Pollock but I do not have experience with other coin photographers. Great coin, thanks for sharing and congratulations on acquiring it!

Best Regards,

George

Nice coin, but the black carbon spots are distracting.

True, but at least they tend to indicate it's originality. Very minor flyspecks don't bother me, especially on a coin graded 64. When you get to 65, carbon spots should be insignificant (and shouldn't be present at all on a 66). That's just my opinion, though.

Great looking coin, one of my favorite designs of any U.S. Coin.

If you are unhappy with Pollocks work, I'd have no reservation

recommending Messydesk, John Baumgart.

BTW, proof and proof like coins seem to be extremely difficult

to image.