• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1835 Half Cent

18 posts in this topic

I do not know this series either, but I like the coin's relative (in terms of age) details and lack of marks, so I will guess it grades somewhere in the range of AU58 and MS 62.

It is a slider UNC. It could have a tough of rub, making it AU58. The slight difference in color might just be a patina change, which is typical of old copper, in which case it is probably up to MS63 or 63.

These images do not show any luster, so my analysis assumes that luster is there.

It is a slider UNC. It could have a tough of rub, making it AU58. The slight difference in color might just be a patina change, which is typical of old copper, in which case it is probably up to MS63 or 63.

These images do not show any luster, so my analysis assumes that luster is there.

+ 1 . I think it is an attractive BN 1/2 cent.

It is very sharply struck with a technical grade of AU-55, but it has been recolored with sulfur after a probable cleaning. As such it is worth a lot less than a straight graded AU-55.

I will post a piece tomorrow with the proper color.

Sorry

I agree that the color makes me suspect that it has been cleaned and retoned, but otherwise has the sharpness of an AU55.
in in the cleaned and wrong color camp. Otherwise it's technically AU.

I have an 1835 half cent, but this 1809 shows "the right" color better in the photo.

1809%20Half%20Cent%20O_zpsixpcvbvg.jpg1809%20Half%20Cent%20R_zpsbos1usqz.jpg

I am a little confused. Are you saying this is the only acceptable color for this series? This is the only possible color that age and toning can produce?

I have seen half and large cents with this coins color in non detail holders.

You can have a local dealer look at it or you could always send it in for a grade.

I have an 1835 half cent, but this 1809 shows "the right" color better in the photo.

I am a little confused. Are you saying this is the only acceptable color for this series? This is the only possible color that age and toning can produce?

No, he is producing the other photos as an example of natural coloring. The color, especially in light of the lack of luster and the surfaces, make it appear that this coin has been cleaned and recolored in an attempt to make it appear more natural.

No, he is producing the other photos as an example of natural coloring. The color, especially in light of the lack of luster and the surfaces, make it appear that this coin has been cleaned and recolored in an attempt to make it appear more natural.

The OP's coin may very well be cleaned. I am not disputing that possibility.

But saying that a certain series has "the right color" or even that it has "natural coloring" implies that any other color is either not the right color or not naturally colored. Especially in the context presented - comparing the "right color" to the OP's presumably artificial color.

I guess I just do not understand the significance of the comparison, considering the context.

Looks to me like the OP coin has underlying "original" color with a layer of either crud or toning on top of it. (cruddy toning?)

Photos are a bit too dark to see but at the area around the 1 in the date and you can see what looks like nice choco brown surfaces in the protected areas. It wouldn't surprise me if this is what some 190 year old lightly circulated coins look like. The coin above appears unc so perhaps not a fair comparison.

You folks are correct when you say that there is no "one look" for brown copper. The trouble is the look of the piece that started this thread is not original. It has been darkened with sulfur, and it was done quickly rather than slowly. If you sent this piece in for grading, it would get a "details" grade.

What is "slowly"? It means that the piece was put in an envelope that was made with paper which had some sulfur in it. Over a period of years, a cleaned copper can re-tone and start to look okay. Sometimes it can look so good that you can't tell that it was cleaned.

Here is another take on the 1835 half cent. This one is in my collection. I've had problems photographing it with respect to color, but it is totally original and very nice. NGC graded it MS-63, Brown, but it's an MS-64, Brown in my opinion.

1835HalfCentOJPG-1.jpg1835HalfCentR-1.jpg