• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why is this sent back upside down ?

22 posts in this topic

I can't see your pics but I assume your coin is in a slab. Coins sometimes rotate in their holders while being shipped due to vibrations or other jostling while in transit. Try tapping the holder corner on a wooden surface and you should be able to rotate it back.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I took a look at NGC's photos of your 1840-O half dollar in the holder, and it is not upside down. It may seem that way due to the inversion of dies that is standard for USA coins. The dies are rotated about 10 degrees from normal, but this is not too unusual for coins of the period.

Turn the little fold-out crank on the side of the holder. That will rotate the coin back so it looks straight.

i looked at the photo"s on the web site and you are right, it is in the up right position, but now it is up down dwlange

Sometimes a coin's diameter will be slightly off, or the slab is slightly off, and the coin is be able to spin around inside the slab. This can be very subtle or very obvious. It just needs to be reholdered, if it bothers you. If it's the coin itself, switching to the solid gasket usually works.

This half dollar is entombed in a prong holder...I don't think tapping the holder will rotate the coin.

I'm trying hard to figure out what is going on here...if your looking at the eagle on the reverse, it will be upside down from the seated liberty on the obverse, that is, if you do a horizontal flip. If you do a vertical flip end to end, the orientation will appear to be normal.

Since the label area can only be on one end, the label is oriented with the obverse side of the coin, leaving the tails side of the coin upside down with the reverse label right side up.

Now I'm dizzy.

This half dollar is entombed in a prong holder...I don't think tapping the holder will rotate the coin.

Pronged coins tend to spin more easily than full gasket coins, due to there being less contact.

Pronged coins tend to spin more easily than full gasket coins, due to there being less contact.

Good to know as you have handled more plastic than I ever will...the half dollars I've had in prong holders never moved, not one iota, but I guess on 20th century coins the diameters variate greatly.

I've heard of pronged antelope, but never pronged coins. Maybe Roger can enlighten me.

Chris :devil:

The "Rotatuscoinii" or "Coin" is a small animal of the antelope family (Bovidae Cephalophinae Rotatuscoini). The most common species has no prongs, but the rare Rocky Mountain Tsetse Fly Pronged Antelope Rotatuscoini male has three prongs in breeding season. Out of breeding season it has four prongs which makes for considerable confusion among the female coin population.

When in ritual combat for mates the rotatuscoini fight with their prongs. Strangely, when the prongs of one animal are contacted by those of another, the two animals will rotate counterclockwise, raise one hoof in the air, and light up a big cigar.

The behavior is unusual - especially the rotation.

The "Rotatuscoinii" or "Coin" is a small animal of the antelope family (Bovidae Cephalophinae Rotatuscoini). The most common species has no prongs, but the rare Rocky Mountain Tsetse Fly Pronged Antelope Rotatuscoini male has three prongs in breeding season. Out of breeding season it has four prongs which makes for considerable confusion among the female coin population.

When in ritual combat for mates the rotatuscoini fight with their prongs. Strangely, when the prongs of one animal are contacted by those of another, the two animals will rotate counterclockwise, raise one hoof in the air, and light up a big cigar.

The behavior is unusual - especially the rotation.

Oh! I understand now.

Thanks, Roger!

Chris