• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell me what I should see on this large cent.

7 posts in this topic

My phone on macro mode gave me the most "life like" pictures of this. It shows a couple more scratches in the scanner but sometimes great color which it does not have.

My guess is it has a good obverse and an extremely fine reverse. Making it worth about $18.

20150821_193450_zpsswyixhrt.jpg

20150821_192745_zpsho4dl8xf.jpg

Because of the dark at the creases? I take the scratches to be wear, do you see a polish pattern?

It is glossy and the surfaces are very unnatural looking. I agree with him that it has been cleaned. Insofar as value is concerned, I am not sure but I would expect it to trade at a discount to a problem free example.

Thanks for the tips.

I can see both the glossiness and how the smooth raised surfaces don't share the number of dings the rest of the surface has. Perhaps the cleaning substance is why light plays on it a little different than I expected.

Its not an investment piece or anything. I just dabble trying to get coins I like the look of and don't have any yet. Then I analyze them and try to see what others tell me to look for.

Do these pennies always have relatively nice reverses compared to obverses?

both sides look about vg10 or so to me. usually the obverse and reverse are about the same IMHO. 18 bucks is about right on value I think also.