• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New PCGS Slabs are Nearly Indestructible

21 posts in this topic

Anyone else have any experience cracking the new PCGS slabs?

One of the things that started my collecting journey when I was a wee lad was one of those old Whitman thumb-busters. My Grandpa gave me a set of Lincoln folders (wheaties up through the present) which he had seeded with 10 or 12 pennies of varying dates. Over the years, I've been filling it in, a couple of pieces a year. Its gotten down to where the only holes remaining are the key dates.

So the other day, I was on Ebay and saw a 1913D in PCGS AU-58 for a reasonable price, so I picked it up. It came and it was time to put it in the album.... but cracking out was nearly impossible! These new slabs are tough! I finally demolished the slab, but in the process I had to break it into about a million sharp slivers. If this was a higher grade, uncirculated coin I would have been very nervous. I finally managed to get it out and into the album without any damage.

IMG_1168%20copy_zpshjdpgnfh.jpg

IMG_1170%20copy_zpsk2gnms7s.jpg

Every coin that's encapsulated suffers some risk when cracked out. I'd bet this one either needs the vice/squeeze treatment or just the chip, chip, chip method on the corners. I wonder how PCGS does it (on these new slabs and any earlier generations)?

Anyone else have any experience cracking the new PCGS slabs?

One of the things that started my collecting journey when I was a wee lad was one of those old Whitman thumb-busters. My Grandpa gave me a set of Lincoln folders (wheaties up through the present) which he had seeded with 10 or 12 pennies of varying dates. Over the years, I've been filling it in, a couple of pieces a year. Its gotten down to where the only holes remaining are the key dates.

So the other day, I was on Ebay and saw a 1913D in PCGS AU-58 for a reasonable price, so I picked it up. It came and it was time to put it in the album.... but cracking out was nearly impossible! These new slabs are tough! I finally demolished the slab, but in the process I had to break it into about a million sharp slivers. If this was a higher grade, uncirculated coin I would have been very nervous. I finally managed to get it out and into the album without any damage.

IMG_1168%20copy_zpshjdpgnfh.jpg

IMG_1170%20copy_zpsk2gnms7s.jpg

A band saw can be your friend!

Chris

I have only seen one new PCGS slab. They are thicker than the old ones and don't fit into the NGC boxes. In that way they are like the SEGS slabs which are also a tough as nails to break open and don't fit into the "normal" plastic boxes.

Frankly I don't like the new PCGS slab. It won't fit in the boxes I use in my bank safe deposit boxes, and they are going to need all new slab covers to cut down on slab window scratches.

I wonder how PCGS does it (on these new slabs and any earlier generations)?

I am sure they have special tools made for that very thing.

Would it have been easier to buy an AU 1913-S in a dealer's 2x2?

Good luck finding one, as nice as Jason's for a decent price that hasn't been fooled with, in any of many different ways, either.

Hack saw, band saw, scroll saw or jig saw are my tools of choice....eZ pZ.......

Yep, I agree with you and Chris.

I have only seen one new PCGS slab. They are thicker than the old ones and don't fit into the NGC boxes. In that way they are like the SEGS slabs which are also a tough as nails to break open and don't fit into the "normal" plastic boxes.

Oh, Great... :P

Frankly I don't like the new PCGS slab. It won't fit in the boxes I use in my bank safe deposit boxes, and they are going to need all new slab covers to cut down on slab window scratches.

From a preservation standpoint, the new slabs are supposed to be far superior. They are also supposed to be scratch resistant, to a degree. They also stack perfectly with older slabs.

I find that many collectors who use the slab covers that are crystal clear but skin tight over the plastic are actually imparting tiny micro scratches onto the slab as they squeeze the plastic sheath on. They are also open on one end. I prefer small coin size Ziploc bags, for slab protection, instead. The slabs go right in, you can easily pull them in and out, and the bag helps block airflow. I also use CoinArmour bags for better coins, (These have been advertised on this forum in the past), which are infused with Intercept gas absorbing compounds.

I also use CoinArmour bags for better coins, (These have been advertised on this forum in the past), which are infused with Intercept gas absorbing compounds.

Do they protect against humidity, as well?

Originally Posted By: BillJones

"I have only seen one new PCGS slab. They are thicker than the old ones and don't fit into the NGC boxes. In that way they are like the SEGS slabs which are also a tough as nails to break open and don't fit into the "normal" plastic boxes."

Received my first new slab in the mail today and it won't fit in the Ultra-PRO 2 5/8 by 3 5/8 inch card sleeves that I use.

I also use CoinArmour bags for better coins, (These have been advertised on this forum in the past), which are infused with Intercept gas absorbing compounds.

On moister, they work the same as any plastic bag. I would not consider any plastic bag to be a good moister inhibitor (for that you will still need silica or other desiccants), but they do help restrict some airflow. The Intercept technology is supposed to fight mold, as well as gasses.

On moister, they work the same as any plastic bag. I would not consider any plastic bag to be a good moister inhibitor (for that you will still need silica or other desiccants), but they do help restrict some airflow. The Intercept technology is supposed to fight mold, as well as gasses.

That is what I suspected. Thanks.

What I find interesting about this thread is that when they first appeared there was a thread warning they weren't sealed and would fall apart. (It was just a report of a random happening which has happened on other generations as well, but it caused a lot of panic at the time.) Juat and interesting contrast between two reports on the same slab type.

What I find interesting about this thread is that when they first appeared there was a thread warning they weren't sealed and would fall apart. (It was just a report of a random happening which has happened on other generations as well, but it caused a lot of panic at the time.) Juat and interesting contrast between two reports on the same slab type.

Assuming the slab sealing process is properly executed, the slab is supposed to be very good. I've had grading services forget to seal the slabs on occasion. It's too soon to know how it compares in reality.

Nice 1913-D Cent. thanks for sharing

I have only one of these slabs and like Bill mentioned they are two wide to fit in the NGC storage boxes which take NGC, PCGS, ICG, and ANACS (not original small width) slabs. This creates a storage, organization issue for me as well.

I do not like it at all the new PCGS slabs will not fit in an NGC storage box like the previous generation PCGS slabs. I will not pay money for their storage boxes for these.

Other than the NGC storage boxes do the new PCGS slabs not work with other aftermarket boxes ?

Or will they only fit into PCGS boxes ? Has anyone found a box that will work for all PCGS & NGC slabs ?

Other than the NGC storage boxes do the new PCGS slabs not work with other aftermarket boxes ?

Or will they only fit into PCGS boxes ? Has anyone found a box that will work for all PCGS & NGC slabs ?

I use the intercept shield slab boxes (the doubled rowed ones with no dividers). I then have them in ziplock 2"x3" (?) poly bags to keep the slabs from scratching.

I use the intercept shield slab boxes (the doubled rowed ones with no dividers). I then have them in ziplock 2"x3" (?) poly bags to keep the slabs from scratching.

That is exactly how I store slabs. Though on toners and white coins, especially, I swap out the Ziploc bags for Coin Armour Intercept infused bags.