• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laser Treatment

7 posts in this topic

link

Just read this message posted across the street.

I'm beginning to think that there are two different games going on here between the sellers and the gullible, naive collectors. If hairlines and other blemishes can be removed with laser, how can we trust anyone? Does it matter? Twowood confused.gif

frown.gif wow I would love to know how they remove hairlines with a laser! Sure doesnt sound like something that will be wide spread, especially if you need to AT to cover the work! And lasers arent cheap either so it is probably someone that does lasik and coins on the weekends wink.gifgrin.gif

lazering has been going on at least the last 7 years

from what i have heard

proof gold is usually the major thing that is worked on because of the big price differences between the grade

if you look closely at the proof gold and you know what you atre looking at and know what original coins look like it is always possible to tell a lazered piece

but you have to look closely and know and understand waht you are looking at

for most since they have never seen any proof gold to study and have not seen or can recoinze any lazering it is of course hard to tell

but for me i think that if you know the right dealers to deal with who know waht they are looking at they can tell if you are interested in buying a piece and keep you into only original coins that have not been lazered or frosted

and maybe or maybe not dipped

but i guess the dipping doesnot bother me as long as the coin looked like it was just minted and the surfaces are stable

i do not like the other doctoring at all

but if youare willing to look at a coin that has been lazered and look with the right power lens and study it and know the coins you are looking at this can always be told for the moat part

sincerely michael

i hope that the group which is tryinb to stem the tide of coin doctors gets cooperation from all facets of the hobby

as i know they can be successful the problem is getting acceptance from evetyone in the coin game!

sounds like a good plan!

sincerely michael

One of the more interesting points in that thread was a comment about moving into foreign coins, since you can buy a larger quantity of the coins for the money. That brings up an interesting question, since the advanced state of doctoring has really cast a cloud of doubts on the quality of coins, do you think people may be more inclined to favor quantity, or at the very least place less emphasis on overall qulaity in their purchasing decisions? I just started a circulated set of mercs in a folder, and although they are not very valuable, I am enjoying them, and I have very little doubt that the toning on my AU 1945-D is original and that these coins have not been doctored. To me, this whole issue is unfortunate, but it also highlights the different risks you face when approaching collecting as an investment versus as a hobby.