• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC GRADES MAJOR ERROR 2015-W HIGH RELIEF GOLD $100

29 posts in this topic

• Administrator
Yawn.

Would you get excited if the front part of the slab was NGC and the back part was PCGS?

Chris (shrug)

Shots fired. :popcorn:

-Paul

Egads, that "lady" is ugly! Looks more like a gaunt zombie!

Are there any PL examples of these? That reverse looks fully PL, but the obverse doesn't. I know the last high reliefs were prone to PLs, althought they fetch ludicrous prices.

Medal turn should be hard to do with a single alignment pin on each die....

If it were off by some random angle, I might think it was accidental. However, that looks perfectly aligned.... was it intentional?

Would you get excited if the front part of the slab was NGC and the back part was PCGS?

Mildly interested, but since the two sides wouldn't fit together I would know it would have a fabricated "error" :)

(Another problem is I've been in this field long enough and have seen so many "exciting" thing that I've become a bit jaded. I can appreciate nice items and be impressed by some things, but rarely am I "excited" by something.)

Are there any PL examples of these? That reverse looks fully PL, but the obverse doesn't. I know the last high reliefs were prone to PLs, althought they fetch ludicrous prices.

I actually like Liberty on this. To each their own I guess.

What I don't like is the noticeable die polishing on this particular piece. I've never cared for that....

I'll consider buying one of these eventually as long as I can see in hand what I'm getting.

As to the error: Doesn't do too much for me....although maybe others would be interested.

jom

The so-called "proof like" coins are simply from the die gradually conforming to the polished planchet surface. It is not intentional. The same situation applied in 2009.

They may have been trying to appeal to the Walking Dead audience with this design.

I can't find the original page where all the design choices were listed but the design chosen wasn't even in my top 10!

Here are just a few that I would have preferred, again, these are personal preferences.

To me, the lady on these is just much more aesthetically pleasing.

http://www.coinnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-High-Relief-24K-Gold-Coin-Candidate-Design-HR-O-11-C.jpg

http://www.coinnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-High-Relief-24K-Gold-Coin-Candidate-Design-HR-O-12-C.jpg

http://www.coinnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-High-Relief-24K-Gold-Coin-Candidate-Design-HR-O-17-C.jpg

I really like your 3rd choice. too bad the mint went with the obverse they did. The reverse is so good that the obverse is so bad. could have been a truly great coin. just my opinion

Yes, #3 is one of the best ones in my humble opinion. I was so excited when I heard they were going to do a new UHR, only to have my dreams crushed when I saw the final design choice. It appears to me that they were hell bent on choosing an African American design choice and, if you look at all the obverse designs, that appears to be the prevailing design of the obverse. Was there some sort of mandate to do this in the legislation? Personally I don't care who is depicted, just make it nice!!

qIYFNxU.png

They lost the movement. The design selected is a statue figure with no movement, even though the flag is waving. Also she appears to be starving. The one above shows movement and a connection to the child on her facial expression.

Taking a look at this picture, it's much nicer enlarged than small. You can see the nuances of the coin, the reverse is especially attractive and detailed. I would have still preferred another obverse.

28483224_46936256_2200.jpg

Medal turn should be hard to do with a single alignment pin on each die....

Not if the alignment flat is ground on the wrong side of the die body.

RE: Portrait. The hands and fingers are wrong, the gown does not fall naturally (unless she's in orbit), and perspective is distorted. Subtlety and character are entirely missing. It's a flat cartoon and not three dimensional portrait in low relief.

If the mint would HIRE AN ART DIRECTOR this kind of half-way stuff could be corrected before it got to the production stage. Yes -- the differences are subtle -- but they make a distinct difference in the artistic merit of the piece.