• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870 CC Half Dollar Story......

4 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I have just seen a few posts in relation to the 1870 Carson City date and I thought I 'd share an old story......

I opened my shop in 1979, the metals hype at the time convinced me. Probably a few months in, I bought a deal that included a seated half. The coin was bent over in two, like a clam. It was quickly tossed in the cull box. (Things were pretty busy in 1979 and items like this didn't command a second look). Time marches on, and on a quiet afternoon, I start looking through the junk. Here's that half.......I start looking at it and can make out the 'CC' mint mark. Here's the date, 1870......Wow ! I'm thinking.

If only it wasn't folded over like a clam. Out came a screwdriver and a hammer and I beat that sucker back into a coin......The ugly thing went back in the box........

A good friend and I decide to attend the ANA not long after, 1982 in Boston. While cruising the floor, I meet Kamal Ahwash, God rest his soul. At the time, he was the seated liberty go-to guy. I mention this coin and he's interested. OK, I make notes and end up shipping him the coin. He calls me shortly thereafter, explaining that it was a bent-up coin and hammered into submission. I tell him that 'I know'.....He explains that he would have customers and offers me 300 bucks !!!

It's like I bent over in the parking lot and found 3 'C' notes......I say, "Of, course".....He passed away from cancer shortly thereafter, but it was the dealer base of people like him, that made it possible for someone like myself to have carved a career out of numismatics. (reference the Jay Cline post).

Paul