• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do YOU have any erroneous NGC or PCGS slabs?

12 posts in this topic

I know this is a touchy subject since our host is NGC, and I want to point out right now that I have utilized both major grading services since their inception in the mid-1980's and have had very good experiences with them on every occasion so I am not writing this to smear either, they have my respect. The purpose of this question is to expose the fact that no matter how hard these professionals try to get it right, they are just human like the rest of us and they make mistakes too. The problem is, not enough of these mistakes are taken off the market, and some unknowledgeable buyer has to get hurt by them sooner or later, right?

What I'd like to see is the worst of the worst, not the borderline opinion stuff, but the baltant stuff- damaged coins in straight graded slabs, heavily hairlined mint state or even MS65 and above with light hairlining, ugly dark toning on a MS65 or higher that should have precluded it from being straight-graded or graded mint state, etc, etc. Show us the goods so that this dirty little secret doesn't remain hidden from the light, or from unsuspecting slab buyers.

SHOW US YOUR WORST SLABS!

I've seen my share of them, but I don't buy them, and I don't think that dealers would take kindly to my request to photograph their "unfortunate" slabs.

The only things I have owned were mislabeled slabs, like 1913 Type I nickel that was in a Type II holder or a Walking Liberty half dollar that had a mint mark, but was shown as a Philadelphia mint coin.

I was going to add a couple photos of a scratched coin in a straigh-graded slab but can't see how- can anyone assist?

You need to get an account with a photo service site like "Photobucket." After you have the account, you upload you photos to the site. Then you can come here and post pictures. You most copy the Photobucket code for the photo you want, come here, click on the third icon on the tool bar above (the square box with the two circles and the triangle in the lower right corner), paste the code in the drop down box, and click "OK."

It' sounds complicated, but it really isn't. It's just time consuming.

I was going to add a couple photos of a scratched coin in a straigh-graded slab but can't see how- can anyone assist?

You need to get an account with a photo service site like "Photobucket." After you have the account, you upload you photos to the site. Then you can come here and post pictures. You most copy the Photobucket code for the photo you want, come here, click on the third icon on the tool bar above (the square box with the two circles and the triangle in the lower right corner), paste the code in the drop down box, and click "OK."

It' sounds complicated, but it really isn't. It's just time consuming.

I appreciate the quick reply and thank you for taking the time to let me know. Not worth the time or trouble to me, I thought you could just upload photos from your local drive like you can anywhere else, I guess NGC needs to look at their antiquated system and correct this situation because a lot of us have no desire to use those servers. Shame too because I have so much to share...

Does NGC have a photo system connected to this site? If they don I don't know about it.

PCGS has one, but its so restrictive as to the size of the files that it accepts, that it's a pain in the butt. It takes more time to "dumb down" the size of the files than to go to Photobucket. I also don't want to "dumb down" the files I use for reference so I used to end up with "small file" and "large file."

"Erroneous" covers a wide range of problems. I have seen many misattributed varieties in all TPG holders. A few egregiously bad (a common coin attributed as a rarity). Not pointing fingers at any one TPG, though.

Does NGC have a photo system connected to this site? If they don I don't know about it.

PCGS has one, but its so restrictive as to the size of the files that it accepts, that it's a pain in the butt. It takes more time to "dumb down" the size of the files than to go to Photobucket. I also don't want to "dumb down" the files I use for reference so I used to end up with "small file" and "large file."

a related question- I have a registry set but haven't had the time to upload photos yet so I haven't looked at the proceedure- do you have to do the same thing there, as in upload to photobucket or a similar site and then give the registry software the URL? If so, I'm not going to waste the time. If ebay was like that, I would probably set up my own website and server and promote it. I wish these big corporations would hire an IT supervisor or VP who knows the latest technology and has the contractors incorporate it into their code...

"Erroneous" covers a wide range of problems. I have seen many misattributed varieties in all TPG holders. A few egregiously bad (a common coin attributed as a rarity). Not pointing fingers at any one TPG, though.

agreed, and my intent was not to create a complaints section here, just to point out the worst and most obvious mistakes or oversights. The coin I was going to post is a circulated 1897-O Barber half in a PCGS VF35 straight-graded slab. Both the obverse and reverse have old scratches all over and even though the coin circulated after the scratches were applied they show. If graded today, it would be in a details holder labeled 'scratches' but somehow it passed the scrutiny of at least three people. The other two are in PCGS (I'm not picking on PCGS, I just couldn't find my folder full of bad slabs, all I could find was these barber halves in another folder) XF40 straight graded holders, one a 1913, the other an 1898-S. Both have wear well into the wing tips of the eagle with no detail at all on the outer third of the wing, an obvious VF30 or so. Weak strike can't be the reason because there is obvious and even wear obverse and reverse on bith coins. I had a folder of Morgan dollars and another of liberty half eagles, two series I spent a LOT of time studying, and there were all kinds of problems with those ones. I'm still looking for them, maybe if I find them I will go to the trouble of putting them on facebook or photobucket to share here...

a related question- I have a registry set but haven't had the time to upload photos yet so I haven't looked at the proceedure- do you have to do the same thing there, as in upload to photobucket or a similar site and then give the registry software the URL? If so, I'm not going to waste the time. If ebay was like that, I would probably set up my own website and server and promote it. I wish these big corporations would hire an IT supervisor or VP who knows the latest technology and has the contractors incorporate it into their code...

Registry set photos are different. In the "edit coin" mode you enter the photos directly from you computer.

Registry set photos are different. In the "edit coin" mode you enter the photos directly from you computer.

great news. I was hoping to post photos during the long winter months up here in the northwoods so at least I know it will be an easy process. Which begs an answer to the question- why is is that easy for registry sets and not for here in the forums? It would be nice to see a photo editor here too...

I wouldn't necessarily call this a major mistake, but some 1964-D Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes that have been certified by NGC from the Binion Hoard are labeled as 1964-P. Here's an example:

IMG_6169_zpszeidwtu9.jpg

IMG_6170_zpsq4ffpgow.jpgIMG_6171.jpg_zpsbku8hrgr.png

Some 1964-D Washingtons and Roosevelts are label "1964 D" while others, like the one, above just say "1964". I have seen many examples like this.