• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The importance for legal identification of your collection posted by Smitty's Pocket Change

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

How to identify your collection in case of a robbery.

It was just by habit that I register all of my major coins or collections as soon as I receive them in the mail. Example I just received my 2015 proof 71 GC $50 gold buffalo in the mail and I immediately registered it with NGC and took the picture. Three days on June 30 I was rushed to the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond for compound fracture of T 12 and L2. I was placed in intensive care unit for 10 days and then Neurosurgery Department. At which time they perform surgery infused my back from T 10 to S1.

While all this was going on with me, my stepdaughter and her husband were busy stealing The 2015 gold Buffalo proof that I just recorded with NGC. They managed to take this coin to a local coin shop less than 5 miles from my house, and sell the coin for money. My husband was cleaning out his car, they were using, and found the transaction receipt from the sell of the coin. I happen to have a picture of the coin and sent it to husband from my hospital room. He went to the coin shop and the coin was on display for sale. They immediately put the coin up in their safe so they could have it available for the police.

The other reason to record the graded coins, is that when I finally came home for good on 7/28/2015, we realized that they had stolen our coin key room room and stole over 80% of our graded Coins and rolls of American Silver Eagles. I was able to give a print out of the NGC list to to the Officer in charge of the investigation.

16795.jpg

See more journals by Smitty's Pocket Change

That is a very sad story all the way around. I hope you are doing better now.

Thanks for sharing as I know I would never anticipate such a thing happening

till it was too late.

This story just left me completely dumbfounded. I can't even imagine the physical pain and emotional trauma that you've been through. I pray for your full and speedy recovery and I sincerely hope that you are able to get all of your collection back. You were very wise to meticulously record and photograph all of your acquisitions.

I've been doing exactly the same for the past 10 years. I track all of my purchase, and photograph every coin, both certified and raw. I register all of my certified coins in the NGC Collector's Society Collection Manager (with pictures) and all of my PCGS coins in the PCGS Set Registry. Until now, my main motivation was just to document and keep my collection organized, but after reading your post, it feels like an absolute necessity.

Thank you for sharing your story.

What a Tragedy!! Your step daughter obviously never included you in her family picture.

No one here has ever took a coin from my stash. There are boxes full of silver sets and commemorative coins and then plenty of culled silver as well just stacked in the closet. All the graded material is in a very large safe that I bolted to the wall and floor.

I know we can't take it with us when we go but at least --- wait till I give it to ya!!

Yes, we hope you will be physically well. But the relationship with the step-daughter will obviously be hard to repair.

This reminds me of some who have posted over the years: about burying valuables; one who would not even let family members know that he collects coins; and one (same one?) leaving instructions with the bank to call the police if he ever went to get into his safe deposit box and was not alone.

It's a shame that we have to take precautions to protect our valuables - especially from those who are close to us. Nevertheless, don't get too attached to your stuff because you can't take it with you... But I do hope you get it all back to enjoy in this life.

Alan

This is a horrible story and hope that you feel better but thank you for sharing.

I agree with the advice above but I would also advocate (and no, I am not a paid spokesman) for coin insurance that is offered by Hugh Wood for ANA members. It is not really expensive for collectors who do not display their coins in public and while I have never had to make a claim, just knowing that it is protected makes me feel good. You don't have to give an itemized list unless you have coins valued over $10,000.

Thank you for your post of this thread. I hope you recover from your surgery.

The recovery from the thefts will be more difficult.

Your advice on recording NGC & PCGS slabbed coins needs to be heard by all coin collectors. Even if some coins are $25 or less. It provides an important safeguard for tracking an individuals collection. Even a low quality pic of the slab with the registration number can be important.

Thanks for sharing with us.

I hope your recovery goes well--and I hope you get your property back!

A very cautionary tale. Personally, I register the cert number as soon as I pay for an auction/purchase (assuming I have it...) or as soon as the results post. That way if they go missing BEFORE I get them, I have a consolidated list. Or, if someone else tries to register them I should get a notice.