• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Designation Review Question

10 posts in this topic

There is a Roosevelt dime on eBay that is currently graded MS 67 * (star) W. Obviously it's in one of the older holders, since it has the W attachment. I think this coin has a very good chance of getting a FT designation.

Will the star stay with the coin after designation review? Or would the star also up for review?

The coin is still bright white. There's no toning on it at all.

The coin will be reviewed for all its merits upon designation review. Typically though, a STAR is not going to disappear, and if it did, the value of the coin would be affected, and NGC would have to make you whole again.

The obsolete W designation is sometimes removed from the slab upon review, and sometimes not. There isn't any real monetary consideration with most W coins losing their Ws.

Typically though, a STAR is not going to disappear, and if it did, the value of the coin would be affected, and NGC would have to make you whole again.

I'm not sure I agree. If the guarantee does not cover toning, then why would it cover any other superlative designation for eye appeal? Moreover, how does one establish value for the star coin (at least for NGC purposes)?

I can only speak from my experience submitting to NGC over the past 15 years. NGC understands that the Star will add value and that removing it would have an immediate impact on the value. They have been pretty fair with me on such matters; but ultimately, you would have to ask them about the specific coin in question, as every situation is unique.

this thread was not moved over to ask NGC. I would not mind knowing the official answer or the part about "making you whole"

There is no guarantee that one of the Mods has been following this thread, but in the 10+ years that I have participated here, I don't recall any instance where a thread was moved. You should probably start a new thread on that forum.

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Any coin bearing the T (toned) or W (white) designation that is returned to NGC for any reason will have these designations removed as a matter of course. They are obsolete and no longer recognized by NGC. This action will have no bearing on any other current designation the coin has already or which the submitter is seeking to add.