• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade Revealed - GTG 1934 D Peace Dollar

11 posts in this topic

This coin previously resided in an NTC holder, but now resides in an NGC holder. Some may remember it from a thread some time back regarding toning. The dark blue blotch on Liberty's jaw is foreign matter on the outside of the plastic and, similarly, there is hair on the plastic on the reverse in the area of the UN. Any comments are welcome.

PICT001720-20Copy202_zpslphyuiss.jpg

PICT0012_zpse4cceqfv.jpg

Like you Walkerfan, I thought it was likely an MS 65, but NGC did not agree. Thanks to both of you for participating!

PICT0001_zpsyct8dzuv.jpg

Like you Walkerfan, I thought it was likely an MS 65, but NGC did not agree. Thanks to both of you for participating!

The surfaces are clean, but it looks like the toning muted the luster. That is why I called it a MS64, and I am assuming NGC agreed with me and adjusted the grade accordingly. From the first set of photos, the luster looks significantly muted; the new set makes me wonder whether the coin could be conserved. You need to have someone knowledgeable look at it in hand. After a light dip, it might upgrade if the luster underneath is fine. That is not something I recommend you try yourself; a trip to NCS might be in order. If it upgrades, you stand to nearly quadruple the coin's value. Even a 64 plus might be worth the chance.

The surfaces are clean, but it looks like the toning muted the luster. That is why I called it a MS64, and I am assuming NGC agreed with me and adjusted the grade accordingly. From the first set of photos, the luster looks significantly muted; the new set makes me wonder whether the coin could be conserved. You need to have someone knowledgeable look at it in hand. After a light dip, it might upgrade if the luster underneath is fine. That is not something I recommend you try yourself; a trip to NCS might be in order. If it upgrades, you stand to nearly quadruple the coin's value. Even a 64 plus might be worth the chance.

I am not very comfortable with the idea of conserving coins, but I have considered sending it to PCGS for a second opinion. I paid $165 for the coin, so another submission fee would not be much of a financial burden, especially since I have a few other coins I have been meaning to send PCGS's way.

I am not very comfortable with the idea of conserving coins, but I have considered sending it to PCGS for a second opinion. I paid $165 for the coin, so another submission fee would not be much of a financial burden, especially since I have a few other coins I have been meaning to send PCGS's way.

As is, I don't think PCGS would put it a gem holder either. IMHO, PCGS is fairly strict on luster generally perhaps even more so than our hosts have been historically (I haven't submitted here much recently, so I won't comment on the current grading environment here).

In any event, I wish you luck. If you don't mind me asking, what did NTC call it? Was it one of the newer holders (it is supposedly under new management and more conservative, but I haven't seen enough of their new product to comment) or one of the older holders?

As is, I don't think PCGS would put it a gem holder either. IMHO, PCGS is fairly strict on luster generally perhaps even more so than our hosts have been historically (I haven't submitted here much recently, so I won't comment on the current grading environment here).

In any event, I wish you luck. If you don't mind me asking, what did NTC call it? Was it one of the newer holders (it is supposedly under new management and more conservative, but I haven't seen enough of their new product to comment) or one of the older holders?

They assigned it an MS 66 grade. It was in one of their older slabs.

My thought after looking at the pic was MS65 as well. For whatever it might be worth, I like that toning and think it is slightly past neutral towards the positive side as far as eye appeal and what it does for that coin. I think it would be a shame to conserve all that away. ..

If I were you, and I had that coin in-hand and thought strongly it was a 65, I would crack it and send it to PCGS for grading. I observe what I feel are obvious differences between PCGS and NGC in certain areas and this is one I feel happens to make a consistent difference between NGC/PCGS. (Toning).

Follow up after you do whatever u decide to do, good luck!