• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. and Mrs. John F. Kennedy - A Handsome Couple

7 posts in this topic

I know that I have said many negative things about the First Spouse series, but there have been two exceptions. I bought the Thomas Jefferson piece, which had the Draped Bust design because Jefferson was a widower. I bought it because I have long admired the Draped Bust design on early U.S. silver. Unfortunately the Proof coin the mint sent to me was poorly made and unattractive. I sold it when I was dealer, and it probably went to scrap.

The second First Spouse coin I purchased was the Jackie Kennedy piece. The mint had informed me that they would not be shipping a coin to me until September because they were out of stock. Surprisingly the "Fulfillment Center" informed that they were shipping a coin to me about a week ago. I expected the worst. I figured I'd get one of those coins someone else had rejected because it didn't grade PR-70. Much to my delight I got a nice coin, although I think it falls just short of PR-70 because there is very tiny dull spot on the right obverse rim because of die polishing. Nevertheless the coin pleases me.

So here they are Mr. and Mrs. John F. Kennedy in .9999 gold.

JFK%20Gold%20Half%20Dol%20O_zpstsi6dvgf.jpgJFK%20Gold%20Half%20Dol%20R_zpsgwf5nmpj.jpg

Jackie%20Kennedy%20ten%20dol%20O_zpsvsngwvr1.jpgJackie%20Kennedy%20ten%20dol%20R_zpsebxdqt0x.jpg

JFK was the first presidential candidate that grabbed my attention. Like most kids, my politics were a reflection of my parents views, and they had both become Donkey Party supporters. My father had a beef with the Elephant Party administration because he thought they had sent in the Wage and Hour G-men and had ruined his business. In fact he was a "yellow dog Donkey Party man" who would have voted for the devil if the Donkeys had nominated him. My mother had been raised with Elephant Party, and my grandfather on her side had been a Delaware state senator.

So JFK was my guy, and here is the button I wore during that campaign.

Kennedy%20COPE_zpsjvwejhbo.jpg

I didn't know it at the time, but this Kennedy - COPE button was issued by the AF of L - CIO which had its own beef with the then Delaware Donkey Party Senator, Allen J. Frear. Frear had rebuffed them on a piece of legislation, and they were actively looking to unseat him in favor of Elephant, Caleb Boggs. When I took labor economics in college, the professor described Frear as "a southern senator" which in labor union terms met that he was unsympathetic conservative on labor union issues.

I remember shaking hands with Senator Frear one night at political gathering at my home town, Milton, Delaware. I don't know if Senator Frear noticed my Kennedy COPE button, but if he did, he didn't seem to notice. I would not have known that the group who issued it was looking to send him packing back to Delaware.

Frear lost of the election by less than 2% and was the only incumbent Donkey Party senator to lose his seat that year. Boggs would serve two terms in the Senate until he was defeated in 1972 by ... Joe Biden.

I was watching HSN coin show for entertainment and they had the Jackie Kennedy piece for sale in a ANACS holder graded MS70. I do not recall the asking price, but I do recall thinking it would be nice piece to own.

The only politician of note that I remember shacking hands hands with was Vice President Gerald Ford and Betty Ford in 1973 at a fund raising dinner in Palm Springs CA. At the time I was attending college at San Jose State and trying to stay out of the Vietnam War, so I was not happy with any politician.

But, Bill, who shot JFK? Do you have a favorite conspiracy theory?

I personally subscribe to the hypothesis that he was, in fact, shot by Lee Harvey Oswald (acting alone? I don't know....) but that the fatal shot was accidentally delivered by the Secret Service car following the Presidential limousine.

After reading a number of articles on the subject, I believe that Oswald acted alone. Oswald was a confused left wing malcontent who didn't fit in anywhere. He loathed The United States and the Soviet Union didn't want him because he didn't fit in there either. Oliver Stone tried to set up a conspiracy theory in his film, but one of his central characters, Jim Garrison, was a bit of a nut case in my opinion and was not a credible source for information.

The sad part is the Marine Corp did too good of job of teaching marksmanship to Lee Harvey Oswald. He was perfectly capable of hitting his intended target and did so.

There will always be some mystery surrounding him because his "patsy" comment during the brief time he was in custody. The plain fact is Jack Ruby didn't do the country or anyone any favors when he killed Oswald. He left a shadow of doubt that others were involved, and given the circumstances it will be almost impossible to tamp down those rumors.

I will also add that the Dallas Police Department at the time deserved the "Barney Fife Award for Law Enforcement." Their inability to keep a high profile prisoner alive while he was in their custody was beyond shocking.

The Kennedys were my favorite, as well, even though JFK was shot before I was born.

I was never a fan of the First Spouse series but I REALLY LIKE Jackie's coin and the mint did a good job of portraying her.

I have read many books and watched many documentaries on the subject and I also believe that Oswald acted alone based on the studies and experiments that they have done.

Beautiful coins, Bill!