• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1890-S Liberty Head Double Eagle Gold

15 posts in this topic

I've been updating some photos on some of my coins in my collection. I've got two different lighting setups now, and I like to use certain ones on certain types of coins depending on there color, toning, and luster.

This 1890-S is one of many that I've re-shot recently. I've captured the color and luster much better than my previous photos. It's currently slabbed and there are a couple of scratches that are from the slab and not on the coin itself.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts on it's grade. Thanks in advance!

07e75HT3RqmoeKCB3GGq_1890-S%20Double%20Eagle%20Gold%20Dollar%20-%20white%20no%20label.jpg

1. The luster on that thing is gorgeous.

2. The color is also exactly what I like to see.

3. Those pictures are really good! The only comment I could make would be try playing around with the positions of the lights just a *little* bit to fill in the dark spot at the bottom around the date. I think this will also take care of the overlit areas directly opposite (at the top star on the obverse, and "States" on the reverse).

4. I'd call it a 64 based on the weak strike, and the marks on her cheek.

... 3. Those pictures are really good! The only comment I could make would be try playing around with the positions of the lights just a *little* bit to fill in the dark spot at the bottom around the date. I think this will also take care of the overlit areas directly opposite (at the top star on the obverse, and "States" on the reverse) ...

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to play with the angles a bit tonight and try to fill in those dark areas.

3. Those pictures are really good! The only comment I could make would be try playing around with the positions of the lights just a *little* bit to fill in the dark spot at the bottom around the date. I think this will also take care of the overlit areas directly opposite (at the top star on the obverse, and "States" on the reverse).

I have found that doing away away with places like "the dark spot at the bottom of the date" is virtually impossible to accomplish. Mint State coins have mint luster which plays with the light because of the medal flow that is created by the minting process. Areas like that are going to show on most any picture that provides a view of the coin as it looks in person. You might be able to do away with those areas if you do "blast light" pictures that flood the surfaces with light, but when you do that you often cover up marks at the same time. I've been burned by "blast light" pictures in auction catalogs, and I'll take the dark spot by the date anytime if it allows me to get a better view of how the coin looks in person.

My grade for this coin would be MS-64+. It is just a few marks on the cheek away from MS-65. The fields are remarkable.

The nice thing is, I doubt he had to pay 63 money for it in a segs holder. Maybe I'm nuts but they seem to be the most credible of what are considered "bottom tier" TPGs.

The nice thing is, I doubt he had to pay 63 money for it in a segs holder. Maybe I'm nuts but they seem to be the most credible of what are considered "bottom tier" TPGs.

You are correct. I actually bought it with the intention of sending it in for upgrade, which I don't usually do. I was grading the coin and not the slab... fingers crossed it works in my favor!

Beautiful coin. Good luck with your crack out attempt. I hope you update this thread when you get the results back from PCGS.

I definitely will. I have a huge stack of raw, and some for crossgrade, sitting on my desk. Every time I think I'm ready to send them in, I buy something new and have to wait for it to arrive, lol.