• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Couple of Freebies

8 posts in this topic

With all my recent coin purchases, I had racked up quite a few E-Bay Bucks. Thus, I was able to upgrade two coins in my 7070 type set based solely on E-Bay Bucks. With the remaining balance I bought a Conder Token for my seated-imagery custom set at a 32% discount.

The first upgrade is of a 2007-D, First Day of Issue, Washington Presidential Dollar grading Brilliant Uncirculated by NGC. I got this dollar as a gift when I first signed up for NGCs Collectors Society back in 2008. However, from the beginning this coin and its whopping 12 registry points only served as a placeholder. Because I dont collect prezzies upgrading this coin has never been a high priority. Nevertheless, the E-bay Bucks presented a great opportunity to get a new coin for free and add 896 points to my 7070 registry type set.

That coin is a 2007-S, Washington Presidential Dollar graded PFUC-70 by NGC. Though this coin has a high grade, I dont particularly like its surface. US Mint proof coins seemed to have reached their heyday in the 90s as demonstrated by a PFUC-70 1998-S Washington Quarter I purchased for my 7070 set a little more than year ago. The devices on that Washington Quarter are lightly frosted with sharp details. On the other hand, the obverse bust on the Washington Presidential Dollar has a snake-skin like texture with poor hair and facial details. To photograph this coin I had to use defused lighting to soften the snake-skin effect and give it a more pleasing appearance.

One of these days, I may have to buy a high grade satin-finish SMS prezzie for this registry slot even though it maybe worth fewer points. Quickly browsing through several E-Bay listings, I found that satin-finish prezzies grading MS-69 can be much more expense to purchase. Therefore, I will not be upgrading this upgrade anytime soon, if ever.

The second upgrade is of a 2005-S PFUC-69 Sacagawea Dollar. Since this coin only adds 143 points to my 7070 registry set, I thought I might like to upgrade it. Like the prezzies, I don't collect Sacagawea Dollars and I needed a little more incentive to upgrade it. That said, I love the satin-like surfaces of SMS coins and in the Sacagawea Dollar I found an opportunity to buy a high grade coin with very pleasing surfaces. Thus, the upgrade is a 2005-P dated MS-69 SMS Sacagawea Dollar. This coin has lustrous matte-like surfaces blended with contrasting satin features. Furthermore, I netted another 477 points for my 7070 registry set.

Finally, I purchased an MS-63, 1794 Ireland Half-Penny Conder Token (D&H 351) for my seated-imagery custom set. This token has clean surfaces and sharp details. Issued by ironmonger William Parker of Dublin, Ireland the obverse of this token features a women sitting on a chest while holding a cornucopia and leaning on an anchor. I am currently trying to identify the women symbolized on the obverse, and the three most likely candidates are Hibernia, Hope, and possibly folk hero Grace OMalley. For now I'm sticking with Hope based on the obverse legend, May Ireland Ever Flourish. Interestingly, I can also make a compelling case for folk hero Grace OMalley of whom the British called a pirate. Yet her shipping business produced a great deal of wealth.

The reverse features an ornate-iron stove. Certainly, this item is one of the many things that one could purchase from William Parkers hardware store. Regardless, my guess is that it might take quite a few of these tokens to buy this stove even in 1794 Dublin, Ireland!

Gary

16773.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

The following is a comparison of George Washington as featured on a 1998-S proof quarter and a proof Washington Presidential Dollar:

1998-S_Proof_Washington_zpsjxpqly5a.jpg

2007-S_Washington_Dollar-1_zpsfd3yoghs.jpg

Finally, I'm posting a picture of my 2005-P SMS Sacagawea Dollar:

2005-P_Sacagawea_SMS-1_zpsbgkmkts5.jpg

Gary

Firstly, I agree with brg5658....your pictures do rock!

I too was able to accumulate some ebay bucks and purchase a nice new addition to my collection with them. I hope ebay keeps this program going, it was the second time I was able to purchase a nice new coin with with the "bucks" I had earned!

Happy collecting!

i love the looks of that washington quarter.

That quarter is one of my favorites. I still wish the mint did proofs like this, although they do a nice job with the enhanced and reverse proof Silver American Eagles along with many of their commemorative coins.

Gary