• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 S Morgan Silver Dollar

14 posts in this topic

For me the pictures are not clear enough to take stab at it, however what I can see on the obverse makes me believe it may have been improperly cleaned. Or that could just be the out of focus of the picture. Like I said the pictures are not of a high enough quality to grade for me.

I will stick with improperly cleaned, and AU detail because there looks to be a rub on the eagles chest opposed to a weakness in strike, Just my opinion...

This coin has more luster than in the pictures. Could this coin be cleaned if there shows strong luster?
Yes, a cleaned coin can still exhibit strong luster. However, the coin in this thread does not look cleaned to me.

Thanks again Mark. I didn't think it looked cleaned either. I've compared this coin to my ms63 and 64 Morgan's and this coin appears to be around the ms62 or 63 camp. I paid too much for this I think.

Thanks again Mark. I didn't think it looked cleaned either. I've compared this coin to my ms63 and 64 Morgan's and this coin appears to be around the ms62 or 63 camp. I paid too much for this I think.
You're welcome, though your coin looks like an AU58 to me.

I agree that this coin does not appear cleaned. While I certainly wouldn't be surprised with an AU-58 grade, I'm not convinced by those pictures that it isn't a 62 or 63.