• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Show report

15 posts in this topic

I went to the Baltimore show on Friday. The crowd was down and a number of dealers I spoke to said it was fairly slow. Which was a nice change for me. I had a chance to meet a couple of dealers that I've been wanting to meet. There was a greater police presence in the show, but not outside of it. There is also a large Firehouse Expo going in at the convention center.

Easy selling transaction with Kedsie Coins

Picked up a few things at reasonable prices even though there isn't very much quality pieces out there in the series I collect. I do have a new dealer that is now on my must see list. TMGI (darkside)

Met the Penny Lady, but forgot to go back and look at her MS Flying Eagle cent. Very friendly!

I also picked up a free copy of the Coin periodic table from Coinfacts. Only $19.99 at Amazon.

A few tables were empty - not surprising because of the riots. (Not sure why they weren't there)

Only real beef is and will continue to be parking. Very expensive.

Overall a good show

I was there Tuesday, but no one else was.....guess I'd better check my new Apple watch settings.

I was there Tuesday, but no one else was.....guess I'd better check my new Apple watch settings.

Roger, Baltimore is north of you, not south.

Chris

I went to the Baltimore show on Friday. .... Easy selling transaction with Kedsie Coins

Picked up a few things at reasonable prices even though there isn't very much quality pieces out there in the series I collect. I do have a new dealer that is now on my must see list. TMGI (darkside)

Kedzie Coins - one of the really fine dealers in the hobby (thumbs u !

I did a relatively large transaction with Kedzie's there once that said they would have to charge me sales tax unless I paid with cash, and I walked across the street to BoA to get the cash. Was wondering what the law is on sales taxes in Baltimore.

I did a relatively large transaction with Kedzie's there once that said they would have to charge me sales tax unless I paid with cash, and I walked across the street to BoA to get the cash. Was wondering what the law is on sales taxes in Baltimore.

No MD sales tax on coins or bullion over $1000.

"No MD sales tax on coins or bullion over $1000."

Is there tax on the $1,000, then nothing on the amount over $1,000?

"No MD sales tax on coins or bullion over $1000."

Is there tax on the $1,000, then nothing on the amount over $1,000?

If it's over $1000 there is no sales tax which I'm guessing that MD considers to be an investment while a lesser amount is considered to be a hobby purchase.

No MD sales tax on coins or bullion over $1000.

It was around $5-$7K transaction with Kedzies with proof gold eagles, they did say cash or they would have to charge sales tax. Just before the price crashed on PGEs, at that point it was over $2K/oz., one reason I remember it.

I was there on Saturday and had no problem dropping about 32 hundred. Best buys for me were 3 2006 reverse proof ASE pf70's. After seeing the sticker on them for 330 dollars i thought it wouldn't hurt to ask how much for all 3 he had? Although i would have glady paid that price, when we came back at 300 per i snatched them all up. Next purchase was a 2011 reverse proof ASE pf70 from another dealer for only 275. Picked up some US commemorative dollars for 15 bucks as well as a few tubes of Crocks and Canadian reverse proofs for killer prices and finished off the day with some gold.

One thing that bothered me was most dealers did not have prices marked and constantly had to reference the gray sheet. I think that was BS, know your inventory and know what you have into your stuff so you can deal, these are dealers that seemed like they needed help on how to sell their stuff. The best dealers were those who did not refer to the grey sheet and probably sold the most. It seems as the dealers who sold based off of grey sheet went home with the most.

One big observation, i noticed that there were many more dealers that were pushing morgans and few ASE dollars. In fact, there were a very small percentage that were dealing with ASE's. My thinking is that most of the older dealers grew up with morgans and never got into the ASE market, this is a shame as i was expecting to pick up some others. There were some dealers selling morgans that were cull, cleaned and polished and were asking ridiculous prices. One dealer actually had three boxes of cleaned morgans for 28 bucks each. These were not worth the silver they were made from. One dealer had a few bags with cull slider morgans amd i asked if he would only sell one amd he said he could not split up the bags. To bad for him as he wemt home with them. Dealers that were not dealing and dealers that had commen stuff at red book prices probably did not fair well but dealers that had prices on coins and wre willing to deal to make a sale most likely did very well. If i ever were to become a dealer, i know i wont, there are some obvious do's and don't at coin shows. There were some dealers that were not really interested in selling and this was noted by their unwillingness to budge on prices that were too high to begin with.

One dealer where i bought some gold, made me offers i could not refuse and he has a few 1/10th oz gold buffaloes ms69 for 350, not a bad price.

Advice to any dealer reading this, if you have to refer to the grey sheet for every stinking coin you own, find a new hobby or learn more about what your selling please as you are just wasting time. Those are purely for reference, you can go lower if you like as the grey sheet or red book wont yell at you.