• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The NGC Forum Today

46 posts in this topic

I don't agree nor do I disagree with what has transpired over time, I just know it is definitely a different place than when I first arrived. God, bad or indifferent, it is hard to pin point our changing times. The chat boards have evolved much as the posters have, that's all I know.

As I age, the crankier I get at times, then for days I just want to be at peace. I will not change my posting habits over this perceived threat, I just want to be a round peg around round holes.

Woody, you've always been one of the good guys in my opinion. Yes, we get cranky in our old age, and the younger kids can't seem to understand how it makes us feel. They'll just have to wait until they get older.

Stay well, my friend!

Chris

dirtydozen-2.jpg

Excellent!

FWIW, I believe that Braddick is the very first member, and James Early US has a new member name.

Chris

dirtydozen-2.jpg

Excellent!

FWIW, I believe that Braddick is the very first member, and James Early US has a new member name.

Chris

I remember this! lol

That image was posted when this forum was 'Numismatic Tangents' a bit looser than it is now in 'Numismatic General' but we still have fun from time to time.

A hobby is about relaxation and enjoyment = fun.

Debating points of interest and opinions should be enjoyable and enlightening = also fun.

Arguing for the purpose of irritation is not relaxing, not enjoyable, and not fun (for most).

I was a little surprised by the concerns expressed as I have rarely experienced rude comments here. I would just recommend using the best features on this site to share information, etc., and when things get unduly contentious, take a breather and if they are really over the top, notify the moderators.

I had taken a break from posting here for similar reasons as presented by the op.

I think the best thing for myself is to just try ignore any griefers. I have encountered some who would criticize the way I organized my pencils if I posted a picture of such if not what they were bashing my opinion for to serve their own agenda.

I had taken a break from posting here for similar reasons as presented by the op.

I think the best thing for myself is to just try ignore any griefers. I have encountered some who would criticize the way I organized my pencils if I posted a picture of such if not what they were bashing my opinion for to serve their own agenda.

Why are you still using pencils? Are you mistake prone? ;):banana:

I hope the current downturn in useful forum postings can mainly be psychologically explained by summer doldrums and other weather related depressed feelings such as the California drought, and maybe also such other things as the miserable political climate in the U.S., and the continuing slide in precious metal prices, instead of anything intrinsic in this forum.

Surely most of us are aware that even if without many new stimulating messages, the archived information and references available here are extremely valuable, and deserve the greatest respect.

I find this very interesting, since it was you who made inflammatory comments in a thread here when someone sold a coin after the death of a family member. My problem wasn't so much with your position or what you said (although we have deep disagreements about extrapolation from the low end, generic market to the high end type coin market; your method of pricing/valuation; etc.), but rather, it was in your tone and presentation which came off as condescending and insulting to the OP of that thread.

You are Seller11, correct?

I miss the guys that are sadly no longer with us and also miss guys that went in a different direction like, Hoot, Mike King, and Victor.

I miss the guys that are sadly no longer with us and also miss guys that went in a different direction like, Hoot, Mike King, and Victor.

R.I.P. Lou, Rey, Pete & Chad

Chris

I've only been on this site for ~2.5 years, so I can't speak for the good ole days.

Since lurking and participating here, I've often described this site to my friends as being very serious, with many numismatists that can offer valuable advice; however, you need to have a thick skin. If you ask, you'll get the members straight forward opinion, usually with no sugar.

All the websites I've ever participated on have ebbs and flows. Jason is describing a deteriorating interaction on the site, yet I've often seen his straightforward opinion ruffle feathers. I'm not throwing stones at Jason, I'm just sharing my experience. I personally would rather have someone's opinion than a watered down answer.

I lurk here more than I post because I'm still building my hobby knowledge. This site can be quite intimidating to the novice collector. I like it because I learn more here than the other sites I visit, so I'll continue to be here and hope to continue my education.