• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIlver 1936-D Copper Plated

61 posts in this topic

Searching some long forgotton wheat rolls, I have found an unusual 1936-D lincoln penny. The lincoln cent is apparently plated with copper and the underlying metal is white and quite close to silver. I do believe that this is a possible experimental test piece. The underlying metal is solid in color and form but the coin was plated and the plating looks like it was much thicker at one time. I am having trouble with identifying this coin and I was hoping that someone here could help me to identify it. i will be sending to NGC within the week.

]NEW%20058_zpsdq7wr2cj.jpg[/url

050_zpstrw72a2t.jpg

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is a normal bronze cent with a partial silver-colored plating. You will be wasting your money sending it in to NGC or anybody else. Trust me. I used to be the CHief Authenticator for the ANA and I have seen many plated coins.

TD

Thanks, I do have to say though; the silver metal underneath is solid. I figure I will give it a shot. Appreciation

It looks to be copper, not silver, underneath, which I believe was the point of the prior post.

I actually give you my word that the silver is solid and not plated; you really truly must hold this cent to realize. It is quite the oddball I know but its here and real. Its a new discovery Lincoln. Hard to believe but true. I just wonder what the composition may be. I will have it metallurgically tested when it gets to NGC. I also dont see a reason to plate silver then copper over the top. if it were altered in that way, the counterfeiter or enthusiast would keep it silver; especially a 1936-D. I just dont see why it would be targeted for such plating. I just wish I could have you hold it then you would realize. I sound so crazy but its true. I couldnt believe it when I saw it and examined it

I just dont know how to get through for someone to believe this. believe me, I am not doing this just for show. I intend to have this coin exploited

I have to agree with, both, Tom and Mark.

Believe me, you aren't the first person here or on any other coin forum to think they have found the "Holy Grail". The unfortunate part is when they have refused to listen, wasted their money on authentication/grading, and finally learned that their coin isn't what they thought, they still refuse to believe anyone.

Go ahead! It's your money!

Chris

Dude you came here and asked advice, you got it.... if you still must waste your money by sending it in, what was the point of asking the advice?

I would be willing to bet all my money on the guy who used to work for the ANA being absolutely correct in his assessment.

Well, thanks anyway for trying to identify this coin. I will in fact send it to NGC to undergo metallurgical testing. Something like this just cannot be explained. Its a coin of an imaginary doubt but real in every way. Thanks for the responses

Weigh the coin. It might also be coated with silver amalgam.

Tom and Mark are not being dismissive - they have a lot of experience with odd ball coins that come from circulation. They are trying to help you same some money and personal embarrassment.

Plating cents was (still is) commonplace when making cheap jewelry, trinkets, and "special collector sets" too sell in bill stuffer ads. Sometimes people confuse the color with silver (or even gold); sometimes the coins were liberated from the jewelry, or replated with copper.....not difficult to do on a boring Sunday afternoon.

I understand. This thread is ending. Theres no help here. Although I thank you for trying. Theres obviously no posibility this could in fact be what I say it is to anyone. Just keep in mind; here comes a new discovery!

Dude you came here and asked advice, you got it.... if you still must waste your money by sending it in, what was the point of asking the advice?

I would be willing to bet all my money on the guy who used to work for the ANA being absolutely correct in his assessment.

I would venture that the coin assessment is due to Muenchausen's Syndrome, but that would be a little to coincidental.

I am also quite experienced of the plating process for coins and miscellaneous purposes. I will come back with a cert. Trust me, this wont be an embarrasment

. I am also an experienced coin collector and I can analyze a coin just as good as any professional.

Do you know what Muenchausne syndrom is ignorant man? If you dont stay out of the medical profession! How dare you insult someone this way. You probably are an airhead with nothing better to do than to judge ignorantly of a last name. god help you!

Mike -

At least call NGC before sending them the coin. Maybe they can help you understand what you have. They can can also tell you the cost of metallurgical analysis and authentication - if that's what you want them to do for you.

No one is doubting your honesty or sincere opinion. But the folks who commented above have seen many thousands of similar coins. They are trying to give you the help and information you requested. It's up to you if you want to follow the advice.

PS: There were no experiments at any mint in 1936 dealing with alternative metals or plating for cents. Also, the coin does not conform to what a cent struck on a dime planchet would look like.

Imagination is great stuff - until it becomes an obsession.

Muenchausen is of an old royalty dimwit!!

Please refer to URL under photos. :banana:

And don't get upset. It is not good for your health. :cry:

And, it is Munchausen... :sumo: I saw the movie.

Sorry, but there's no comparison to a 1974 aluminum cent. Weight alone would convince you of that. The mints did not have aluminum in 1936 and they were not making aluminum coins for other countries.....

OK....I'm done with this topic. Good luck with authentication.

That person on here that attacks people suffering of a syndrome cares nothing about people and he obviously cares more about a coin than a human life. Another thing, there are quite a few diseases and syndroms with peoples last names. It means nothing of a particular soul. Way to go NGC!!!!

That person on here that attacks people suffering of a syndrome cares nothing about people and he obviously cares more about a coin than a human life. Another thing, there are quite a few diseases and syndroms with peoples last names. It means nothing of a particular soul. Way to go NGC!!!!

lollol