• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Collecter by Eddie-D

20 posts in this topic

May I ask why you chose to post this image?

Does it have anything to do with your coins, your post, or the message boards?

I know this forum is not for political debates. but since you added this flag to your first post here on the forum, I want to ask you:

Do people that use/display this flag know what it means or what it stands for?

If you do, do you really want to be linked to the people who adopted it as a symbol (because of what it represented) such as Neo-Nazis, or some white supremacists?

Not that I compare Hitler's and the Nazis' actions to these of Jefferson Davis and his people. They're not to be compared in any level.

But, people proudly display this confederate flag because "their ancestors fought on the confederate side" or "to respect their heritage" makes me think: Would anyone sit quietly if Germans mourned their dead soldiers today by raising a Swastika flag or wearing a Nazi armband on their Memorial Day??

Yonico and Hash tag,

Go easy on the first timer!! Maybe he is a young lad still learning the ropes or maybe he is from South Carolina where the flag still flies --- well, till that activist took it from the state capitol building this week! lol

Man, what a bummer!

I am so disappointed to see this content here at the collector society chat boards. I suppose it was inevitable, in the society we live in these days, but none the less, I feel like I have lost an old friend.

I feel sad and sick to my stomach!

Larry

American of Hawaiian Descent

Breaking one of my rules here ("don't feed the troll").

The original poster Is either trying to provoke a response.or is totally clueless. Well, here's a response.

Six generations in Texas could reach back to the Civil war and include an ancestor who served under that flag. My family has been in the Carolinas for fifteem generations; my great-great grandfather was in the Confederate artillery, wounded and captured at Fort Fisher and died in a Union POW camp. So I think I can talk about Southern heritage.

I was living in SC in 1962 when the flag was first raised over the state capitol. As so eloquently stated by Eugene Robinson in a Washington Post editorial a few days ago, that act was SC's way of "giving Washington the finger" over civil rights and nothing else.

In my opinion, there are four acceptable places for this flag.

1. Museums

2. History books

3. Battle re-enactments

4. Private property

Flying on a pole on the statehouse grounds is not one of them, nor is a message board devoted to coin collecting.

I think Rick is a little too easy on the "first timer". I'd like to hear Eddie's explanation for his post before I make any rash assumptions about his character or intelligence, but his post calls both into question.

I may be a softy on the new timer!! :)

1. I don't know him yet.

2. My son did re-enactments for a couple years in his teens and yes he too would pop a post like this from youthful thoughts at a non understanding point of view.

3. One mistake and of course on a first time journal entry by a person that might only be 12 to 16 years old should be overlooked not condemned publicly ---- send him a PM!! :grin:

That flag is only HISTORY of a time we have grown to overlook, surpass and succeed well beyond together as a nation --- not a nationality. (thumbs u

In my opinion, there are four acceptable places for this flag.

1. Museums

2. History books

3. Battle re-enactments

4. Private property

Flying on a pole on the statehouse grounds is not one of them, nor is a message board devoted to coin collecting.

agreed.

and while flying the flag on one's private property is legal, it still doesnt make it right (in my eyes).

Hash Tag!!!

I am probably defending a young man---- That acted like my son did back in the days. I don't see anything wrong with a young man venturing to find his right understandings in life. There are mistakes made on the way that correct us on our venture.

That flag was created prior to the civil war and died with that war!!!

He simply posted a picture of it --- politely saying he loved coins --- and you went CRAZY!!

O-K ----- on the coin collecting end of this FORUM!!!

I decided to venture into the LATEST Mint Set -- 2015

Latest additions;

1c-P--- MS68rd

1c-D --MS67rd PL

5c-P --MS67 6FS

5c-D --MS67 6FS

10c-P-MS68FT

10c-D-MS67FT PL

50c-P-MS67

$1-P Sac MS67

$1-D Sac MS68 PL

$1-P Kennedy MS68

$1-P Truman MS68

$1-D Kennedy MS68

$1-D Truman MS68

$1-D Eisenhower MS68

I may need a few upgrades as time passes but that will be a nice starting point for my new 2015 mint set. :grin:

Ahh.....back to posting outside of the Marketplace, but I think this one needs my attention. There is absolutely no reason to post that flag here, even if it pertains to your coins in some way. I collect a lot of German coins, including those of the Third Reich, but I would never come here or anywhere and post a Nazi flag. It would be horribly wrong. Even if your coins pertain to the Confederacy in some way, it's still not something that should be supported in modern times. I certainly do not support Nazism, even though I collect the coins as part of my German heritage. It's part of my lineage, but not a part I'm proud of whatsoever. I collect those coins as a memorial to history, dangerous history that should never be forgotten or allowed to happen ever again. The Confederacy and its flag certainly fall under that as well.

~Tom-New York Resident of German and Turkish descent

Thought you might be interested in further history of this flag since you posted an attempt for historical clarity and origin----the flag was indeed originated/designed in 1861 by a South Carolinian but was never chosen as the official flag of the Confederate States.

It was adopted as the official "Battle Flag of Northern Virginia" and was bannered during battles involving Virginia regiments.

The southern plantation owners after having lost the war to the union, saw elements of their party then form the KKK and continue to push for complete segregation ( which they achieved to a degree as successfully wrote and instituted the Crow laws.) The KKK was instrumental in turning the "confederate flag" into a symbol of white supremacy and racial hatred.

There are still southerners who insist that the flag has nothing to do with slavery/abolition at all...but is more about belief in state's rights and southern identity.

Further study of the civil war will easily reveal that the abolition of the repulsive practice of human slavery was a wonderful, beneficial side affect of the war--however the true purpose/origin of the Civil War was always about the growing Northern industrialists ending the long held southern states controls and influences as they had controlled congress and the presidency for generations because of their agricultural/financial strength.

Lincoln's quotes about not giving a darn about slavery are easily found if you search, he said he cared not a lick about slavery, only that the union in the USA remain---there is more to history than they will ever tell people in public schools....

Having said all of that, state's rights are dead and slavery is dead--it is time to let the relics of hatred and division die also.........