• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with a Chinese Silver Coin

2 posts in this topic

I recently sent in a 1986 Chinese 5 Yuan coin to NGC. I believed it to be a KM#152. It was one of those impulse buys because it was an interesting subject matter and I got it for a good price. The piece came back PF69 Matte. Of course I was happy with this but then I started to do some research. NGC and Krause do not list this coin as having been minted in proof. I did find where some of these were made in proof but are extremely rare. The NGC # is 2796659-019 When you look up this number the price guide links to a page for what I think is a different coin. Any thoughts would be helpful. My gut feeling is that NGC mis-labeled this....but I would love to be wrong.

Sorry not to include a picture. I haven't figure out how to do that yet on this site but the you can look it up with the NGC Certification Verifier.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Chris

Hi,

You are right , this chinese coin is KM#152 . This coin was issue for commemorate of "The Empress of China, first American ship to make a trade voyage to China."

One certificate should be with this silver coin . I have a picture of this certificate .But , sorry , I don't kown how to attached the picture.

The official didn't announce it was made in proof or not . As you know 80's(1980) , it was a beginning of commemorative coin release in China . The production process of commemorative coin including silver coin and other materials coin was immature . So mint factory and offical only announced the circulation (90000) and any other information on the certificate. And that time , many these coins were given as a present to US friends.

NGC could not know it's proof or not . So some of this coins labeled MS (like NGC # 3354086-011) , and some labeled PF (3879616-007). But in China , we always think it's not made in proof or like proof.

If you send me a E-mail (550166807@qq.com) , I can send you the picture of certificate and any other document.

Thank you. Roger from Shanghai , China.