• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from NGC: 1936 Buffalo Nickel

11 posts in this topic

Why did you submit that one for grading?

I bought it for $5 dollars and thought I would have it slabbed along with some other ones I was already submitting. I submitted about 30 coins, so the additional cost for this coin was really just the grading fee.

I bought it for $5 dollars and thought I would have it slabbed along with some other ones I was already submitting. I submitted about 30 coins, so the additional cost for this coin was really just the grading fee.

Thanks, but wasn't the grading fee a very high % of the coin's value?

Yeah, Mark's right. Unless these are like MS 66 or better they are too low value to make sense grading.

That said, Maybe Ms 64?

The scratches on the reverse can only force the over all grade down, a reverse rarely helps a coin's overall grade.

Thanks, but wasn't the grading fee a very high % of the coin's value?

Yes, you are correct.

I guess the "luster" that shows around the edges must be the result of some kind of polishing. The surfaces do look a bit smoother than they usually do on a business strike Buffalo Nickel.

I guess the "luster" that shows around the edges must be the result of some kind of polishing. The surfaces do look a bit smoother than they usually do on a business strike Buffalo Nickel.

That might be what they thought... I don't know really. I've looked at it, of course, before it was submitted and I had by buddy that owns a LCS look it over. Neither of us see something that would indicated 'improper cleaning'. It's a very pretty Buffalo in hand.