• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - NEWP 1885-CC GSA S$1 -

13 posts in this topic

I was on a long break from coins and just got back into it (kind of..)

picked up this beauty for $475. couldn't say no to it!

starting up my (mini) collection again from scratch. this is one of the first purchases!

the coin is raw. please guess what it would grade at (not submitting at the moment, just curious to see how my opinion compares to yours).

the pics are not great, i know. these are iPhone pics. some of the marks/hits look more serious in the pics than in hand. Pics make the coin seem a bit flat, but in hand the luster is REALLY nice.

any comments/guesses are welcome. VAM info welcome, too!

thanks in advance!

1_zpsfegqifox.jpg

2_zpsqblwwtam.jpg

3_zpsavnxv5ij.jpg

5_zpsljiot2n1.jpg

63 - VAM 2

Far date, dash under 8, (can't see if the bottom of the 5 is slightly doubled) Die scratch running down from designers initial, Die scratches around Eagles right feather. Pretty sure it's a VAM 2, a clear close up pic of the 5 would help - VAM world says the doubling is very slight....

Yeah, I agree with coinman above. The left field is a bit chewed up as is the eagles breast. the reed marks on the face would knock down any other coin but these are treated special.

MS 63.

Thanks all for your comments!

I was thinking in the same range - looks like a MS62, but a MS63 by "GSA standards". I have a few 63's that look very similar to this one in regards to bag marks and luster.