• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gardner Sale Reflections by Electric Peak Collection

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1, 2, 3...

More than a month has passed since part 3 of the Gardner collection sale. I have had time to reflect on the coins I got and the ones that got away. In the end, I bought six half dimes from that collection: one from Part 1, two from Part 2, and three from Part 3. Only one of them was a top choice at the time, from Part 1, the 1864, about which I wrote at the time.

For Parts 2 and 3 I did my usual preparations. That results in a prioritization of coins to pursue and maximum potential bids. Of course, there can be complications when priority #2 comes before #1 in the sale, and I will not have enough money for both. And there usually is a backup plan for what to get, if anything, if the high priority coins slip away.

In Part 2 of the sale, I had targeted the 1865 and 1865-S half dimes. Both went for more than I had set as my limits. I wound up getting the 1871 and 1871-S instead. Both are really nice coins. But as I look back, I think I should have pursued those earlier dated ones with higher bids. I think it may be a long time before comparable coins become available.

In Part 3 of the sale, I had set my sights on two half dimes, both graded MS66 with green CAC endorsements: the first of three 1848-O coins (the other two were graded NGC MS67 and PCGS MS67 CAC); and the 1866-S. In my research I saw that the second 1848-O had a previous life in a PCGS MS66 holder with CAC sticker. But both of the MS67s had toning that is not the most attractive to me, the third one worse than the second. When the first 1848-O sold for just over my limit, I decided on the spot to go as high as one increment more on the second. (After all, I "need" that date & mint...) I got it. Then the 1866-S came, and went, for a little over my limit. A couple lots later I got one of my backup lots, an 1869-S graded MS67, but also with non-ideal toning. Finally, I got a lovely upgrade to my 1872-S MM Above Bow. The price seemed too good to pass up. As with Part 2, when I look back, I almost wish I had been more aggressive with the lots I had wanted most. But I am happy with what I got.

This leaves me with 58 of the 70 coins needed for the registry set. I will want to upgrade at least three of them. So I will be looking hard for those 15 or so coins, most of which will be tough to find in high grade. So I expect those purchases to be infrequent. To fill the gaps, I will keep looking for interesting varieties.

Here is a shot of the 1872-S Above Bow reverse, from Part 3.

16691.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection

Peak,

That is a very nice strike. Nice toning with no carbon spots. A great addition!!

It's a good helper to set limits on your auction bidding. When you are bidding on high grade coins that are low population graded with none or a few finer --- loosen your wallet a little to get the best coins you can for your set. :grin:

Later--Rick