• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach newp 1814 CBH

11 posts in this topic

Really liked this coin when I first saw it. What do you think? Grade? Overton #? Heritage pics, not in hand.

ab12b25e-2ec2-4db2-87c4-1b1b4cc31f9b_zpsk9qqtizl.jpg

d0ff1367-4398-4e50-9466-1936db15d0fa_zpsbgyixr0k.jpg

Carl

I'll go AU 50, however I haven't viewed a lot of these yet. Still in the walker series as main US coin interest.....the reverse looks rubbed up which may be why the pros call it a XF opposed to a AU. Really like the look of the coin.

I suppose it grades EF-40 although I would be inclined to call the reverse VF-35. The obverse rules, however, when the reverse is that close to EF.

That coin would've easily graded in the AU 50 range, as it has a crusty look, mark-free surfaces and good hair detail on the obverse. The reverse has more wear/weakness. That being said; I have no problem calling it an XF 45.

The look of the Obverse is what compelled me to purchase this CBH. As some others said, nice and crusty. The Reverse has a typically weakly struck left wing and exhibits circulation wear that is borderline XF.

That being said, most if not all posters saw this coin as I saw it, solid XF. NGC agreed.

Thanks for the replies and comments.

I have the Overton number as O-101a R2. Die cracks Obverse and Reverse (hard to see from the pics) make this CBH an early to mid state transition from the O-101 to the O-101a.

Love to own a O-101, it's a R6!

lf_zpsg0vx10xk.jpg

Carl