• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filled 2 holes from my top 5 World Crown collection wantlist this week

13 posts in this topic

I think I found some great values on nice specimens for my affordable AU to low MS set of World crown box of 20 where I pick what I think to be the nicest crown designs from any century. These 2 were in my current top 5 of holes to fill and am happy with the way they fit in with my other crowns. Will leave the grades off for those who enjoy the gtg game.

11c16b14-b54b-4026-8823-89a7c0a37bff.jpg

9a283f11-705e-497a-9836-9af72e85d1cf.jpg

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Your post leads me to believe that the CAR 8R did not straight grade. There are a lot of hairlines on the reverse and yes, this is a design I like though not high enough on my priority list to actually buy. I would grade it AU details.

Your post leads me to believe that the CAR 8R did not straight grade. There are a lot of hairlines on the reverse and yes, this is a design I like though not high enough on my priority list to actually buy. I would grade it AU details.

It did straight grade. I purchased from David Lawrence who I believe uses a scanner rather than a camera which makes the nicks on coins look bad as the bulb passes over during the scan. These planchets are really rustic so the fields have a lot of activity in AU and even MS grades. I have bought other coins from there with similar fears. But we shall see in hand. I am even hopeful of a hint of cameo-ish activity, though the scanner can cause that illusion as well as the light brightens up the devices a bit more than the fields. So not quite a pre-requisite for my purchase and these with PL qualities are pretty tough. Ive seen 1 before. I made a similar call on my pl-ish caballito from a scan and was correct there so again well see,

Hi mumu,

The CAR 8R looks AU53/55 in my eyes. I absolutely adore that design also, and I hope to find one eventually. That is a VERY nice example. Congrats!

I know the grade on the Piastre so I will refrain from "guessing"...

Best, Brandon

Mumu,

Since you are leaving the grading to guessing. What would you say to this gem I just picked up. I am totally jealous of the 8 Reales, I will have one in time. It is in fact high on my list.

Mike

155846.png.2eea3e1b9c4f6a252bf402457032a74b.png

155847.png.e2cd7cb6b1696f16879ac7e0257ebd88.png

Mumu,

Since you are leaving the grading to guessing. What would you say to this gem I just picked up. I am totally jealous of the 8 Reales, I will have one in time. It is in fact high on my list.

Mike

Looks like a nice chocolate silver piece which I like. Not sure if you are asking to GTG? You called it a gem so im not sure if you are using the term technically as a 65?

My 2 coins above are AU 55 for the CAR and 61 for the Piastre. I don't LOVE this Piastre nor the 61 grade in general. But I think the price on this was too good to pass up to place hold it until I find a great one.

$_57.JPG

3a84eb89-de1e-4c71-8744-406c6e425c9c.jpg

You called it a gem so im not sure if you are using the term

Great point, and a almost poor choice in word age for me

It is MS63, I was close on the 8 reales. A local dealer has one here where I am living for $550 in AU 58

Mike

You called it a gem so im not sure if you are using the term

Great point, and a almost poor choice in word age for me

It is MS63, I was close on the 8 reales. A local dealer has one here where I am living for $550 in AU 58

Mike

That is a good price if it is nice. I paid more for mine than that and I thought I got a good deal on it.These seem to have dropped in price the past year. They are also not as scarce as you might think for a coin with such a crude planchet.

I agree on the price. As far as its appearance I do not know. He keeps it in his safety deposit box and will only show it and other coins by appointment. I can get you his information if you are interested.

Take Care,

Mike

I agree on the price. As far as its appearance I do not know. He keeps it in his safety deposit box and will only show it and other coins by appointment. I can get you his information if you are interested.

Take Care,

Mike

Appreciated but im nowhere near Washington.

No problem, he ships. The coin is certified so there is access to pictures. Sorry I sort of hijacked your posting. Take Care!

Mike

Oh I thought it was implied there were no pics. If you want to PM me the cert number ill take a look at it.