• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who can authenticate a new variety?

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone give me the name(s) of businesses or individuals who provide this service? I have some coins that I need documented before I submit them for grading.

Chris

What type of coins are they? There are variety experts for many different series. Many will accept submissions and if a new variety, they will certify them and assign them an industry recognized variety number. If a known variety (there are thousands of known varieties that never get any press) they will attribute it for you. Usually a small fee is involved.

Providing they are varieties and not errors or minor things like die cracks, you could call Bill Fivaz who does the CherryPicker's Guide and talk to him about them.

I would talk to David Lange. Although he authenticates varieties for NGC, he is very hush. hush about such new or interesting discoveries. David has utmost integrity. Talking to the wrong person before you are ready to sell might open a can of worms, since everyone might just find out.

TRUTH