• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This may be old news Re: the Pi Peace dollars

18 posts in this topic

Looks like they are getting into new holder and Star designations added to some of them?

8dceccb4-b5d9-44d8-a6d3-aa1e1fc5c25f_obv.jpg

Yep. Last I saw Pi he was being chased by an very hungry imaginary tiger in a very small boat.

Would be nice if you would tell the class what you are talking about.

There is a batch of toned Peace dollars who's certification numbers all start with 314. These are widely theorized to be artificially toned, and many of them have wild and unusual toning patterns. Many collectors of toned Peace dollars won't touch them, and question why they have been slabbed. However, they are in NGC slabs, and apparently some of them are now being reslabbed and getting the stars.

Thank you! Lots of water spots on the example form the OP. Does the "star"have any meaning?

Coins.

Had this one recently come back from PCGS. Reverse is untoned, dove grey with some spots as opposed to a freshly dipped white untoned, though. I don't think it is from that 314 hoard, but it sure looks like some of the ones from it, including OP coin, doesn't it? Do I have a "Pi" (haha) coin? In my opinion, most of the Pi coins look completely NT, OP coin included. Only some look questionable.

7rcihJPl.jpg

There is a batch of toned Peace dollars who's certification numbers all start with 314. These are widely theorized to be artificially toned, and many of them have wild and unusual toning patterns. Many collectors of toned Peace dollars won't touch them, and question why they have been slabbed. However, they are in NGC slabs, and apparently some of them are now being reslabbed and getting the stars.

Thank you for the explanation, which apparently was not forthcoming elsewhere.

Had this one recently come back from PCGS. Reverse is untoned, dove grey with some spots as opposed to a freshly dipped white untoned, though. I don't think it is from that 314 hoard, but it sure looks like some of the ones from it, including OP coin, doesn't it? Do I have a "Pi" (haha) coin? In my opinion, most of the Pi coins look completely NT, OP coin included. Only some look questionable.

7rcihJPl.jpg

Hard to surely say with the pics but I feel the color n your example is much more vibrant than the 314s I have seen. The commonality in the 314s I have seen has been a certain opaqueness to their color I cannot put in to words. Can spot them right away before seeing their serial numbers usually. I like your example.

If a toned peace dollar with serial number 314159-265 comes around, that's a coin I would really love to own!

Haha, I can respect that ;)

What am I missing? Not sure what this references.

Pi = 3.14159265358979.....

But - why limit to only one slab number....? Why not:

6.02214129x10^23 ?

[Avogadro not guacamole]

Similarly, I would love to own a dollar bill (or other denomination) with the serial number 31415926 or 31415927 (or 16180339 for the golden ratio or 27182818 for e).

I haven't even seen a picture of one of these - maybe I need to start a grassroots campaign!

Pi = 3.14159265358979.....

But - why limit to only one slab number....? Why not:

6.02214129x10^23 ?

[Avogadro not guacamole]

Got it! Thanks Roger. I can't believe I missed that....doh.