• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mexican Beauty, but lousy photography on my part.

9 posts in this topic

There really isn't much of any other intention to this post than to hopefully strike up a conversation about methods of taking good coin photos that really highlight the true beauty of a coin. I am currently a novice in this area as you may tell from the shared photos.

Any comments would be great

155793.jpg.5fe74385cddb7bd4e6980f4f07d5fe1b.jpg

155794.jpg.4d42db1ae84a00e2394ad48ef523f6d9.jpg

I'm far from a competent coin photographer but I think you need better lighting. When I sold coin on eBay in the past, I had a problem with it.

Anyway, you have a nice coin there. I don't know the grade but the color is excellent, I don't see any distracting marks and it seems to have only light wear. It is a design I like.

Yes, I was thinking lighting myself. I have a digital microscipe but these pictue were a quick snap from my galaxy S5. I am thinking AU for this coin. But it is indeed the color that got me into it. Thanks for the reply!

Mike

I'm not a good coin photographer either. But try lighting both sides (left and right).

About the golden eagle design though....

The Golden Eagle is the official bird and symbol of Mexico. Its imagery dates back to pre-Colombian codices of the Aztecs and is based on the legend of the holy city of Tenochtitlan. The legend goes something like this:

In the beginning, the Mexica people emerged from the womb of the Earth; a place called Chicomoztoc, which means “seven caves”. They settled in a land of paradise called Aztlán. But, the Mexica lived there under a tyrannical ruling class called Azteca Chicomoztoca.

After centuries of oppression, Huitzilopochtli, the Mesoamerica god of war, the sun, and human sacrifice appeared to the Mexica's highest priest in a vision. Huitzilopochtli ordered the Mexica people to leave Aztlán saying:

“Where you will find an eagle, sitting on a cactus on a stone in the water, tearing with his beak and fangs a snake asunder, there you shall settle.”

For the two centuries, the Mexica wandered in the Valley of Mexico, until one day they saw this very sight on a small swampy island in the middle Lake Texcoco. And it was there that the Mexica established the city Tenochtitlan.

Screen%20shot%202015-06-06%20at%207.13.46%20PM_zpshoohejo5.png

from Diego Durán’s ‘Historia de las Indias de la Nueva España’, folio 14v

I used 2 lights a copy stand, a 1500$ camera attached to a computer and an 800$ lens. That's all I needed to take an OK pic.

1911cabObvmd.jpg1911cabRevmd.jpg

I used 2 lights a copy stand, a 1500$ camera attached to a computer and an 800$ lens. That's all I needed to take an OK pic.

By contrast, my entire set-up (camera, bellows, lens, copy stand, and lights) cost me just under $700. :grin:

The quality of pictures is something like 5% camera and lens, 5% lighting, and 90% practice. ;)