• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a Taiwan seller on ebay a huge risk?

7 posts in this topic

Before anyone gets philosophical and answers "Everything on ebay is a risk" I mean relative to say China for example. Coin is under 250$ and seller has 100% feedback, although total feeback is a moderate 229 ratings. Seems legit from what I can tell otherwise.

I have bought from Taiwan, and I have bought from China. There are legitimate sellers in all countries, and there are scammers selling fakes in all countries (including the US). Just because a person is in a certain place doesn't mean they are a scammer.

More importantly: take a look at his coins. Are there fakes in the mix? Do the coins look good? Are they slabbed? (and/or, are the slabs also fake?) Post a link to the coin you are interested in, and someone here will be able to help you tell if it is too risky or not.

There are legitimate sellers in all countries, and there are scammers selling fakes in all countries (including the US). Just because a person is in a certain place doesn't mean they are a scammer.

:applause:

Past those points, if no red flags go off then, from a country aspect, having been to both countries for business and working with them for a few years, I would be more ok with Taiwan

Taiwan should be okay, so long as you don't see any red flags as Jason (physicsfan) has pointed out.

The really, really risky purchases as of late have been those from Russia. Things get lost a lot, and (more likely) stolen in transit. Not to mention the customs process seems to be under particularly high scrutiny in the past couple years.

I'd be happy to take a look at the item in question if you want to PM me a link (if you don't want to post for all to see so someone doesn't snag it from under you).

Best, Brandon

The cert/coin pictured matches what is on PCGS secure. No red flags otherwise. I pulled the trigger on it so let's see what goes down.

I have bought from Taiwan, and I have bought from China. There are legitimate sellers in all countries, and there are scammers selling fakes in all countries (including the US). Just because a person is in a certain place doesn't mean they are a scammer.

More importantly: take a look at his coins. Are there fakes in the mix? Do the coins look good? Are they slabbed? (and/or, are the slabs also fake?) Post a link to the coin you are interested in, and someone here will be able to help you tell if it is too risky or not.

I have bought coins all over the world through ebay also, haven't had a problem to this point. I completely agree with physics