• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coinpoint @ eBay

8 posts in this topic

I got an odd piece of unsolicited mail today from Coinpoint @ eBay, specifically from a CPA named Mark Rutin of Valley Stream, NY. I buy a lot of coins on eBay, so I thought the letter might have been a coin price sheet from a seller (who is also a CPA) that I've bought coins from in the past. It wasn't.

Turns out that the enclosed material had nothing to do with coins. It was a sales letter trying to get people to switch utility providers, specifically gas and electric. I Googled Coinpoint and according to their website they are, "...an online marketing agency based on Australia and focused on catering to the Bitcoin markets."

I have never been involved with Bitcoins before and I still don't see the connection between Bitcoins and utility providers. And this is only speculation, but it would seem that someone that I have bought coins from on eBay sold my mailing address to this Coinpoint company, which used it to this market utility provider for this Mr. Rutin.

Has anyone else who buys coins on eBay gotten something similar? Is there a way to find out if one of the eBay sellers that I've done business with sold (or rented) my information? If so, I'd ultimately like to just never do business with them ever again.

At the end of the day, they are really wasting their own time and money because I'm not going to switch utility providers. But I really don't like to be solicited because it sort of offends me, especially when I'm hit with the old bait and switch.

Am I off based in thinking that an eBay seller could have sold my mailing address? If not, os there any way to find out who it was?

I still don't see the connection between Bitcoins and utility providers.

There is a HUGE connection between the two.

Mining Bitcoin on a large scale (which the difficulty level now has made it to where that is the only way to mine Bitcoins) uses a very large amount of electricity. So large that it is the primary factor that a mining company will take into consideration when selecting a location to set up a mining farm.

They will seek out areas of the world to locate the farms that are cold (reduces the need for air conditioning to keep the mining rigs cool), close to a cheap renewable energy source (hydroelectric, etc..), and finally corporate tax friendly.

Whether that has anything to do with your unsolicited mail I don't know - but there is the connection for the curious.

Ahhh! Someone has opened a new electricity mine ! Now I understand! Thanks.

While it is not exactly difficult to find home addresses on people, I sure wouldn't willingly offer mine on a forum where I discuss collecting coins.

I'd also use a PO Box for all coin related items. You never know how close people are to you. I once sold a coin to a person who lived about two blocks away. Years later (after I had moved), I ended up selling a coin to a person who lived a few doors down, across the street from me. I could have throw the coin to his door.

While it is not exactly difficult to find home addresses on people, I sure wouldn't willingly offer mine on a forum where I discuss collecting coins.

I think your talking about the photo I posted????

That's his return address. Yeah, I wouldn't put my mailing address here, even though I don't distrust most of the folks who post here often.

Rutin is your friendly Authorized Dealer ATS and at NGC as well !

This guy can't be too bright using his home address:Street View and just wondering if it could be this guy on eBay?

I'd call or e-mail and ask what the deal is:

Coin Point Avenue Inc.

(516) 285-9291

mrutin@optonline.net

Valley Stream, NY