• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1957 Washington Quarter

11 posts in this topic

Snagged this at my local shop. It was just in a random book in the back of the store under a pile of misc stuff. I liked it and thought I'd share with you guys!

Let me know how you'd grade it in your collection. Thanks.

g4hzQMDXQEqQK8ZTf7RZ_1957%20Washington%20Quarter%20rainbow%20-%20white.jpg

Kenny is probably right with 66 but I must say that it sure is a purdy quarter. (thumbs u

Looks to be album toned. I'd think that one has a tiny shot at MS 67. I can't see a flaw and the strike is pretty strong on the obverse especially.

I'd love it too!!!

With those pictures, 65 is as high as I'd be willing to go. The pictures are kinda dark, and don't show the luster (a coin needs really good luster for 66, blazing luster for 67). The strike also looks weak, and I can see enough marks that the coin will not get 67.

The toning looks attractive, though. Nice coin!

With those pictures, 65 is as high as I'd be willing to go. The pictures are kinda dark, and don't show the luster (a coin needs really good luster for 66, blazing luster for 67). The strike also looks weak, and I can see enough marks that the coin will not get 67.

The toning looks attractive, though. Nice coin!

I have seen several mint set toned quarters of this period with similar luster in MS66 holders (both services) and even in NGC MS67 holders. I think the ticks limit the grade.

IMHO I believe the technical grade to be MS65 due to ding to right of nose but I also believe it would receive a market grade of MS66 due to toning.

Doug

You have a couple ticks in the left field and on Washington's cheek. I'll say MS-66 with maybe an extra point for the toning although it should not be that way.

I'll tell you. Some of the modern MS-65 coins I've seen were disappointing.

... I'll tell you. Some of the modern MS-65 coins I've seen were disappointing.

I agree completely. The graders seem to be fairly lax on some modern coins in relation to our classic coins. Or I've noticed at times and have been disappointed myself.