• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin #500

5 posts in this topic

Halfway to my bucket list goal.

I recently looked at the overall standing of my collection and realized that I was sitting at 497 coins. I was curious as to what my 500th coin would be. The next day, two coins came in to put me up to 499. The day after, two more coins came in. The package I opened first was my 2014 Kennedy Reverse Proof Half Dollar. It is my first reverse proof and I really like the technique.

I decided to create a bucket list after watching the movie. I included 100 items. Numismatically, I have 1000 graded coins and to purchase a $10,000 coin at auction one day. I've completed surfing, driving Rt 66, etc. Some of the fun things I have left include walking on hot coals, visiting each state capital (I've been to 12 capitals so far), etc.

I look forward to one day in the future writing about which coin comes out as #1000.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Marcus,

Just try to spend less than 10k on that 10k coin! One of these days I might cross that barrier as well. In any case, congrats on the milestone, and remember to enjoy the journey, however far you go.

Alan

Awesome! I LIKE your list and you have it planned out VERY well! If you keep at it and BELIEVE---you WILL succeed. Congrats on coin #500!!

Hi Marcus,

Good for you!

I took a look at your sets and I must say I admire your collecting style. In looking at your sets, it seemed to me, that you've collected coins based on their beauty rather than their numerical grade. You put together a beautiful proof–69 UC quarter set. And I just want to acknowledge your accomplishment and your ability to resist the temptation to shoot for all 70s, cost be damned. In some cases I can see the difference between a modern coin 69 and 70. But in most cases I think it comes down more to the mood of the grader and the quality of the coin. The quality control at the US Mint is so good these days that realistically 80-90% of the proof coins could be graded 70UC. But if that were to happen the grading services would lose out on all that money from resubmissions…

John