• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking to upgrade 1946-S Walking Liberty

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade my NGC 1946-S MS66 Walker. I will point out that there is a very large cost difference between MS66 and MS67.

Here is my MS66.

1946ssmall_zps70638d93.jpg

Here is the Long Beach PCGS 1946-S MS67 Walker I am looking at to pull the trigger.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/walking-liberty-half-dollars/half-dollars/1946-s-50c-ms67-ngc/a/1221-4669.s

Totally based on the pics, the color is nice, there is a clearer thumb but the skirt line is weaker, head definition equal. Luster appears to be equal.

Don't care about registry points, I want to buy a better coin, is the Long Beach coin a point better than the MS66? If so tell me what you see.

Thanks,

Carl

Carl,

In all honesty----I don't like that 67. Although the luster is great and the sun and right facing field are very clear; I think that the strike is weak. I think that the thumb, branch hand and head are poorly defined. The head (on the obverse) and the trailing leg (on the reverse) have a lot of marks and chatter. You can find a better 67 and I've seen many 66s that look better IMO. For that much extra money---I'd wait.

For what ever reason your 66 is not showing up on my computer screen, so I can't compare. But from a personal standpoint I liked the 47-D better than the 46-S. In fact I really didn't like the 46-S, and it looks to me a little over graded but I'm not the expert, and the experts think its a 67 so I guess it is. Too many hits on the face and dress of the coin for my liking and the eagle isn't very hit free either. The fields look clean. With that being said, I would guess there are better examples of 46-S at 67 then this one. Again, this is only my personal opinion, and really shouldn't matter.

Thanks for your opinions. Very much appreciated. Based on what the majority of replies say, I didn't miss anything when evaluating this coin. I kept thinking--it just didn't look significantly better than the 66 I have. I'm going to wait until until I come across a better coin to upgrade my 46-S.