• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commemorative Conundrum....

11 posts in this topic

Inflated Prices on Ebay

Good morning, everyone. I am down to the last two coins in my Modern Commemorative Half set. They are two of the 1996 Olympics coins.

I have been looking at them for quite some time and the prices are very inflated for some reason. They are consistently listed in the $150 ranges, but NGC's price guide only has them listed around $80 - $90.

My dilema is whether or not to just suck it up and buy them to complete the set, try to buy them raw and hope for a 69 grade or to continue to wait. Granted, I haven't checked for them in PCGS holders. Maybe they will be listed for less in their holders.

Any thoughts?

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Thoughts - ignore the price guide prices and the ask prices of sellers. Instead, focus on the actual prices realized for ones that have sold. If those prices are more than you're comfortable paying, buy uncertified examples.

Mark is absolutely right - look up the actual prices realized for completed sales (ebay and Heritage auctions) and pretty much ignore price guides and inflated ebay "Buy It Now" listings. If you keep up with what's on ebay, you'll see lots of BIN listings at ~50% higher than recent completed sales, then you'll see them re-listed every week or so forever.

Once you establish the "real" market price, you can decide whether you want to pay a premium to finish the set and if so, how much of a premium. Eventually you will find what you're looking for, either for an acceptable price or in a true auction format. Patience pays!

Time ---- Is on your side. Most buy now prices on coins that have low population are extremely high "cost-wise". Wait and check weekly for the coin to go on a bidding force listing. Trying to purchase 50 coins and submitting for a sweet 70UC will still not guarantee a slot filler for the deceiving best key coins in a set. ;)

J.M.O. ---- Rick

From what I can see from the census, they aren't scarce, so unless you have to complete the set today, I would practice some patience and wait for the right coin at the right price.

You might even want to contact a seller with a high BIN and make them an offer and see where that gets you.

Pricing a coin that you desperately want can be frustrating. It's just the law of supply and demand. As the others have said just go to Great Collections or Heritage auctions and see what the coins are selling for on an average at auctions. I can "generalize" by saying that if a coin is listed in the NGC or PCGS as having a Fair market Value of $200.00 then I would never pay more that a hundred bucks for it. Just bide your time, do your research and then strike at the right time!!! Good luck....

Bud

Pricing a coin that you desperately want can be frustrating. It's just the law of supply and demand. As the others have said just go to Great Collections or Heritage auctions and see what the coins are selling for on an average at auctions. I can "generalize" by saying that if a coin is listed in the NGC or PCGS as having a Fair market Value of $200.00 then I would never pay more that a hundred bucks for it. Just bide your time, do your research and then strike at the right time!!! Good luck....

Bud

"Fair market value" implies just that. So the chances of your getting a coin for half that value or less are extremely remote. Perhaps you're speaking of price guide values or something else, instead.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I like the idea of messaging the sellers with an offer. Do you have any websites that might offer a more consolidated view of previous auction prices, so I can send those messages with a little more ammo?

In regards to waiting, I know patience is a virtue, but man, I really want to finsh this set. lol

I wouldn't send background info with the offer. I'd just make the offer. If the seller is willing to "deal", you'll know by their response.

I'd use Heritage Auction Archives for reliable data to formulate your offer.