• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Balls

10 posts in this topic

Mint errors can be interesting but this one seems extra odd to me.

Broken after Strike

I've seen some examples that are MS/AU and have both halves present such as this one .

I recall seeing an amazing split Morgan in a PCGS or NGC holder but I can't seem to find it now.

Another beauty I saw at the Michigan state show was a double? quadruple? strike Dime/Penny. I believe it was a 1998 penny/dime The coin was struck with both dates showing and details of both designs evident on obverse and reverse, on a dime planchet.

Any who was wondering what is the strangest mint error everyone has seen.

PS: Defective CuNi planchets were fairly common in the 1890s. They were made by Scoville and quality was inconsistent.

. . . I recall seeing an amazing split Morgan in a PCGS or NGC holder but I can't seem to find it now.

tempbrokenccset.jpg

The Amazing Broken CC

This coin was sold in one of the GSA sales in a single GSA case. The GSA put a note in the cardboard box telling the lucky buyer that the coin was an error, and asking him or her to contact them so they could do some publicity on the piece. The guy who got it put the box away, unopened, and after a few months without hearing from the buyer the GSA, who had made note of the name and address of the random buyer, contacted him.

TD

. . . I recall seeing an amazing split Morgan in a PCGS or NGC holder but I can't seem to find it now.

tempbrokenccset.jpg

The Amazing Broken CC

I think that is the one!

I found another dime/penny specimen like the one I saw at the Michigan state show... LINK

I have a Jefferson Nickel like that Liberty somewhere.....Now I have to find it and get it into plastic. Especially if it's worth anything like that lib !

Paul

There's the Indian cent that was struck on a gold planet. 2.5 dollar I believe. I'm on my phone right now or is search and attach a picture. I've always thought that was a very interesting error.

There's the Indian cent that was struck on a gold planet. 2.5 dollar I believe. I'm on my phone right now or is search and attach a picture. I've always thought that was a very interesting error.
that one would look way cool in any collection.