• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best coin holders

20 posts in this topic

What say you.

New or old, in your opinion what's the best plastic tomb that you have run across?

I vote for the old ANA/ANACS holders followed by the old "soap bar" NGC.

In what aspect? In terms of security and the edge labeling, I would say SEGS. In terms of compactness and great optics on an older slab, I would say the old small ANACS holders. And for the best optics, I would say that the new PCGS and NGC holders are far superior to the older plastics (and I think PCGS has the edge at the moment, but that is obviously subject to change).

In terms of compactness and great optics---------- around 2005 anx small white plastic holder small and compact with crystal clear plastic

security========= definitely SEGS

currently------- pcgs holder wish they made it a little smaller like the old white anx slabs

currently------- pcgs holder wish they made it a little smaller like the old white anx slabs

I agree. You could fit more slabs into a small Priority Mail box and save on postage.

I want the newest holders to be the size of the old white ANACS holders. Of course, I would want them with the much better plastic of today, and sealed better, to avoid further toning in the holder.

Tough call. Gun to my head I like the new optics of the Pcgs holders. The inserts are blah but all things considered I'll go that route

The NGC soaps are pretty sweet but you give up the edge view.

M

Anacs OH; then PCGS green; then early NGC holders. I would like to see various options at added cost like a tracking device option for those concerned about security and different optimal plastic or glass like options.

I hate the new PCGS holders. I have dropped a few of them and they crack very easy. I think they made the plastic lighter and cheaper so it's more breakable.

There is something neat about being able to read the coin from the top of the holder but the old Soap bar NCG's are cool

It looks like PCGS has a new holder coming; http://www.pcgsblog.com/don-willis/news/ask-don-introducing-our-new-holder

Big deal. I hope that Don and the moderators over there join sites and get kicked off for trivial things, their egos must be as fragile as their holders.

I would never use the term "impossible" in reference to counterfeiting, but I do think it is neat. I wonder when NGC will roll out a new holder. I hope they can at least duplicate the optics of PCGS's newer holders.

Who knows, maybe they will sell the wands. What would you pay for a wand that lets you point it at the slab and it confirms the slab is real. (Until they analyze the slab and determine what the tag compound is. Then they can add it to the fake slab plastic as well.)

It may also make coins slabbed in older holders less marketable (Since they can't be checked with the "magic wand".) and encourage reholderings and/or resubmissions.

I just watched the PCGS video link posted by Nutmeg Coin.

While I'm not a fan of the PCGS holder aesthetics, I do commend them for working to improve their holder. It seems they've made a couple nice changes which should make it easier for the collector to authenticate their holder. I've seen more threads about fake PCGS holders than NGC holders, so IMO, this is a nice improvement.

I prefer the aesthetics of the NGC edge view holder, however, I hope they are also looking for ways to combat the increased counterfeit holder threat from our friends across the ocean.

I love the old, small ANACS holders but I don't expect to see anything like them again.

The newest PCGS holders are the best. Clearer optics and color, scratch-resistant, easier to polish.

Much as I like the old fatties, I'm not a fan of the current white, opaque NGC prong holders. I realize it's a personal preference. Nice to have a choice.

Lance.