• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Continues to Evolve

41 posts in this topic

Authentication and grading should be as objective and consistent as possible. No need to add silly qualifiers.

Of course grading evolves; the TPGs want a source of revenue and what better way than to change standards or add new qualifiers? I predict + grading will be introduced for coins below XF40 and moderns. I also wouldn't be surprised if the companies try to compete with CAC more by adding letters to the grades (A, B, C) much like CAC approximates with its stickeing system. Maybe an entirely different scale would be introduced. I'd like to see a technical grade added beside the market grade.

They could keep expanding the grading scale. We have seen the addition of "+", starsm.gif, and so forth to a numerical grade. The grading scale used to be relatively simple, it has gotten more complex. The US mint has continued to flood the market with more product year by year, arguably moderns are one reason the grading services have continued to make money. There are plenty of impaired coins in and out of holders. The real money coins are at the higher grades in the two main service holders and CAC approved. Eventually artificial intelligence will do the work extremely savvy and shrew dealers do today. But any device requires the ability, motivation, affordability, and communication skills to effectively use it.

Authentication and grading should be as objective and consistent as possible. No need to add silly qualifiers.

Of cour$e there is......and little american flags, and First $trike designations, and autographed holders, and gold foil labels, and pre$idential review service, and recon$ideration service, and the plethora of other laughable gimmicky nonsense. I'm still waiting for the scratch-n-sniff holders and the holders that talk, LOLOL.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't already gone to grading like sports cards and comics. Surface 64, edges, 65, luster, 64, eye appeal 66 - total grade 64.75.

. . . The grading scale used to be relatively simple, it has gotten more complex. . .

AU53 is the new 58

58 is really a 62 :screwy:

pc_plus.gifpc_star.gif CAC Green/CAC Gold, PQ, First Strike can be the last strike? and lets not even get started on this MAC thing - FMS, FSTL, FSBK, FSTB, EXFS, FDS

smiley-confused001.gifsmiley-confused004.gifsmiley-confused007.gifsmiley-confused010.gifsmiley-confused002.gifsmiley-confused005.gifsmiley-confused013.gifsmiley-confused003.gifsmiley-confused006.gifsmiley-confused009.gif

Yep, I've been here 3 yrs and figured it out for the most part, but I sure do feel bad for the FNG.

Learn to grade coins correctly and consistently, then ignore the labels and buy on quality and value.

Learn to grade coins correctly and consistently, then ignore the labels and buy on quality and value.

and indeed that is my end goal (thumbs u

I started with this three years ago:

About Good

Good

Very Good

Fine

Very Fine

Extra Fine

About Uncirculated

Mint State

Now I feel semi-confident in most series breaking them out to the Sheldon Scale typically within a point or two and probably with the most difficulty in the AU range.

Having not had the pleasure of viewing thousands upon thousands of coins in hand, nor having the pleasure of having a mentor in this endeavor, I admit that sometimes (not near as much now) I've used a slab grade as a crutch for my lack of knowledge.

If a new collector finds coins their passion, yet lacks grading ability it seems quite obvious to me that the TPGs serve to diminish the damage they may do to their wallet, so long as a bit of historical pricing research is conducted.

TPG grading seems to me to have been an overall plus for the hobby so why obfuscate something so much that it becomes irrelevant?

TPG grading seems to me to have been an overall plus for the hobby so why obfuscate something so much that it becomes irrelevant?

Very well said!!!!!!

Doug