• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How NOT to package coins for shipping.

16 posts in this topic

Recent packaging job on a two coin lot I purchased on eBay. Piece of cardboard with a strip or bubble wrap, coins placed in-between and then lots and lots of scotch tape to hold them in. One coin fell out. doh!

155169.jpg.09a17a9dc07154268d2cb3cbd2ecbab3.jpg

155170.jpg.6d5ef9af97ca23de53928ee75b5e30d8.jpg

155171.jpg.95580fd1304e4c317bf04f402e406464.jpg

Wait until you start buying medals from European sellers. Cut-up cereal boxes are quite common, and tape directly on the medals is not unusual.

Chris

I know how you feel. I found a raw cameo war nickel on eBay that was mailed to me in a paper Kraft like envelope inside of a cheap mailer. The coin could acquire rub from moving back and forth in transit. It also had a scratch on it, which is no surprise given the careless handling of the seller. It truly is a shame because the coin was otherwise all there, and would have easily been a $2k coin without the huge scratch.

Wait until you start buying medals from European sellers. Cut-up cereal boxes are quite common, and tape directly on the medals is not unusual.

Chris

That warrants an automatic SNAD case with demand for return shipping. It is also worth negative feedback.

I "recycle" USPS Priority Mail Envelopes. I just put the coin in a flip, then into the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 little envelope I create. Then bubble wrap anything over $35. They work great and I've never heard a word.

The cheap coins don't need bubble wrap. Just tape the little envelope into the center of a letter size envelope, add 20 cents extra for non machinable and ship it.

It's not rocket science.

Chris

That warrants an automatic SNAD case with demand for return shipping. It is also worth negative feedback.

Hey, you guys are spoon-fed by eBay today. These were instances that happened about 10 years ago. It was also a time when the buyer pretty much had to prove a case against a seller, and the seller could hold the buyer hostage over feedback.

Chris

Here's how I ship my coins-

1. Raw coins go into an appropriate sized mylar flip. 2"x2" for anything smaller than a Half Dollar. 2 1/2"x 2 1/2" for Half Dollars and bigger. Then wrap the flip in a layer of bubble wrap and tape it around the ends and across the width of the flip.

1a. Coins in a TPG holder get rolled in a layer of bubble wrap and get taped on both ends as well as across the width of the holder.

2. Choose a properly sized box to where the contents will not shift or bounce around in the package.

2a. I always ship USPS Priority Mail using Flat Rate Boxes. According to the USPS, these boxes are hand sorted and greatly reduce the chance of package destruction by the sorting machines normally used.

3. If using a Small, Flat Rate Priority Mail box, I usually put the flips wrapped in bubble wrap inside of a bubble mailer and then fold the bubble mailer to fit inside the box. This prevents shifting of the coin during transit and also adds an extra layer of protection.

3a. If mailing one or two TPG holders, I will usually stack the holders on top of each other and then wrap in enough bubble wrap to make a snug fit inside the small box.

4. For Medium/Large Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes, I will line the bottom of the box with a double layer of bubble wrap. Then I will stack the coins in the box in a way that best protects the coins from shifting during transit and also from an accidental drop or fall. Once the packaging is done, I will top everything off with another double layer of bubble wrap and then finish preparing the package for shipment.

5. Use good packing tape! Don't skimp out and buy the cheap stuff. Buy a strong type of packing tape. My preference is the Duck brand, clear packing tape. For higher valued items, it would be good to invest in some nylon fiber laced, brown paper security tape. This type of tape is a bit more expensive but it is required by the USPS for all Registered packages. I should correct myself here, brown paper tape is required is for all USPS Registered packages. It does not have to be the fiber laced tape but I prefer it for the extra security it provides.

Those of you who have purchase coins from me in the past know just how well I package every coin that I ship. No matter the value of the coins you are shipping, if you show your customer you care about your coins and the way they are packaged and handled it is likely they will be repeat customers. This may seem like overkill to some, but in the end, which would you prefer to receive? A well packaged coin that is protected, or a coin that has fallen out of its packing material and has sustained damage? Remember, cheap is not always best.

You know, the sad thing about this packing job is that the seller obviously thought they were doing a great job of packing. With all that scotch tape, it took them quite a white to wrap it up.....Pretty wild....

Paul

You know, the sad thing about this packing job is that the seller obviously thought they were doing a great job of packing. With all that scotch tape, it took them quite a white to wrap it up.....Pretty wild....

Paul

Maybe they should have simply sent a check.....

Years ago, I once received an empty business (yes, a regular letter) envelope with an impression of where the proof 1964 Kennedy half dollar once resided. :facepalm:

The seller did not believe me and neg'ed me when I neg'ed him. eBay is not for everyone.

Years ago, I once received an empty business (yes, a regular letter) envelope with an impression of where the proof 1964 Kennedy half dollar once resided. :facepalm:

The seller did not believe me and neg'ed me when I neg'ed him. eBay is not for everyone.

I believe that was back in the days when sellers routinely said, "I'll leave you positive feedback after you leave positive feedback for me."

That was one of the reasons that encouraged FleaBay to make a complete about-face and empower buyers no matter what.

Chris

These are handy corrugated sandwich mailers:

f25fb6070db266510cb5496eddf6b446.png

Many people rely on the bubble mailers: BUBBLE_LINED_MAILERS.jpg

For currency and stuff you don't want to get bended the photo mailers are quite handy. I tend to be minimalist inclined, I have seen many top sellers and auction companies use the sandwich mailers in stiff or basic envelopes possibly so as not to draw attention? The box in a box option should be used with high value coins, but I have seen many bullion companies just use a single box or even a bubble mailer. Too bad many coin shops do not educate collectors on shipping coins.

I believe that was back in the days when sellers routinely said, "I'll leave you positive feedback after you leave positive feedback for me."

That was one of the reasons that encouraged FleaBay to make a complete about-face and empower buyers no matter what.

Chris

So true, back then it was nothing but 'retaliatory' feedback. Check this out, I once received a coin taped to the inside of a magazine. I had no idea why someone was sending me a magazine in the mail, I guess for the cheapo postage. People are crazy.

Recent packaging job on a two coin lot I purchased on eBay. Piece of cardboard with a strip or bubble wrap, coins placed in-between and then lots and lots of scotch tape to hold them in. One coin fell out. doh!

This is above average packaging, in my 15+ years experience on ebay ;)

These are handy corrugated sandwich mailers:

f25fb6070db266510cb5496eddf6b446.png

Many people rely on the bubble mailers: BUBBLE_LINED_MAILERS.jpg

For currency and stuff you don't want to get bended the photo mailers are quite handy. I tend to be minimalist inclined, I have seen many top sellers and auction companies use the sandwich mailers in stiff or basic envelopes possibly so as not to draw attention? The box in a box option should be used with high value coins, but I have seen many bullion companies just use a single box or even a bubble mailer. Too bad many coin shops do not educate collectors on shipping coins.

Too many auction companies put speed and bulk efficiency over the safety of their product. A bubble mailer is fine, as long as the coin/coins inside are slabbed, and properly wrapped, in either a corrugated cardboard mailer or sheets of bubble wrap, or both.

I purchased a rare Betts Medal, raw, from Stacks Bowers recently. It came in a heat-sealed PVC flip, inside a corrugated mailer, inside a flimsy, thin bubble mailer. This thin, fragile, 300 year old copper medal could have been snapped in half had it gotten stuck in a sorting machine.

At least one company uses specially printed stickers; placed on the corrugated mailers; telling anyone who finds one loose in the mail to contact them. Apparently, they judge this technique to be easier and more efficient than placing any tape on the seams of the Priority Mail envelope, to prevent its breaking open in the first place!

Yes, there is much work to be done on educating, both collectors and dealers, about how to properly mail coins.