• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I get some Columbian Exposition help?

10 posts in this topic

Yes, more info would be helpful! I'm a little confused as why you got it graded without knowing anything about it in the first place?

Just asking.

You might try contacting the owner of this site on Columbian Exposition Memorabilia.

http://www.1893columbianexpo.com/index.html

Back in the 1950's Numismatic Scrapbook had an ongoing series on Columbian Exposition medals and tokens that might be helpful if someone can turn up a copy. Those continuing series back there were serializations which when finished were usually published in book form.

Found two copies of the book but it is not cheap.

Columbiana: the Medallic History of Christopher Columbus and the Columbian Exposition of 1893 by Nathan Eglit one at $129.50 and one at $146.

Found a cheaper version, there are three on Amazon around $45. Two of them appear to be a bound photocopy of the Eglit book. not sure if the third one is a photocopy or not.

You might also try and see if it is listed as a so called dollar if it is dollar sized.

Thanks. Sorry, I know information about the token/medal, but just wanted to know if anyone knew of its value. I had it slabed quick because I wanted to preserve it as best I could. These old brass and gilt medals turn bad quickly under the right conditions.

1892 Recuerdo del 4o Centenario medal. Eglit 224. Caped Columbus bust l., Spanish legend. Rev. Hispania seated on globe. Struck by L. Chr. Lauer, Nurnberg

about the size of a kennedy half dollar

from what I came up with I think it is worth around 100-150 dollars RETAIL if it is certified very choice 64