• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned Coin Frustration/Details Grading posted by Shane Connerly

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Lost Money!

I have been collecting coins for over 10 years now... Started with Eagles and have now moved into the Morgans. My skills have improved over the years but I have still yet to master the different types of cleaned coins. There are not many resources out there with pictures that show you exactly how to determine each type. After a solid 8 years collecting Morgan's I am still falling prey to these detials graded coins. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Also the VAM grading option... There has to be 1000 or more VAMs out there and which ones are worth the additional fees is another question? Any references or input here would be of great help... Thanks to all that reply!

16593.jpg

See more journals by Shane Connerly

Sorry to see that you had one come back cleaned. :(

I have to ask how that might have happened? Did you buy it in GSA Holder and take it out. I am guessing that you did not.

The 1882-CC is not a scarce coin, with the majority falling in between MS63 and MS64, with GEM's routinely selling for under $500.00.

I think you might have been better off buying one already graded problem free in a NGC holder and then submitting it to have re holdered under your collection label, imo.

If your intentions were to find a raw PL or DMPL coin in high grade then you are bound to come up to the plate striking out often since more than likely those have already found their way into a details free holder.

As far as the VAM's go. I would suggest the VAM World website. However NGC will only attribute those on its list and that can be found in the Coin Explorer.

There is always a chance a TPG will make a mistake but it does not look like that is the case here based on your photos.

Good luck on the continued building of your Morgan set. (thumbs u

Not sure if its glare or not, but it sure like it may have been wiped at some point based on the apparent lines in the fields in front of the neck.

I have a knack of submitting coins that come back details graded with "wheel marks", so I feel your pain.

Unless those are reflections, it looks like that one has been whizzed. I hear what you are saying and I have been in the same position as you. Anymore If I am buying fairly high end coins for investment I only buy graded and encapsulated. It's just too much of a risk and in addition to improper cleaning, there is the problem of counterfeits. We don't have access to the massive database of forgery examples NGC has.

I would also buy GSA's as Bill mentioned. The ONLY way you can be assured you are buying an authentic uncirculated coin is in a GSA holder. Granted, there are a ton of 1884CC's in NGC and PCGS slabs that were cracked out of holders, some by the grading companies and some by dealers.

Here's hoping this is your last bagged submission!

Unless those are reflections, it looks like that one has been whizzed. I hear what you are saying and I have been in the same position as you. Anymore If I am buying fairly high end coins for investment I only buy graded and encapsulated. It's just too much of a risk and in addition to improper cleaning, there is the problem of counterfeits. We don't have access to the massive database of forgery examples NGC has.

I would also buy GSA's as Bill mentioned. The ONLY way you can be assured you are buying an authentic uncirculated coin is in a GSA holder. Granted, there are a ton of 1884CC's in NGC and PCGS slabs that were cracked out of holders, some by the grading companies and some by dealers.

Here's hoping this is your last bagged submission!

"Whizzing" and "cleaning' are two different things and I see no evidence of the former. Apparently, neither did NGC.

Shane,

I was a large submitter of raw morgans before 2008 or so. I would say that 20% of the coins sent in were detailed graded. I did land some nice graded coins but came to this conclusion at the end of my quest;

If a Morgan coin has a value of over $300 then it is probably already in a slab. :)

I was also buying the non reliable graded company coins, popping them out, hot rinse, and PCGS grading.

A good dealer is also a great place to get raw morgans that are not detailed. E-bay will prove to be a pile of raw junk that was graded details and then popped out to sell on e-bay so be very careful. My losses at the end of the Morgan collecting, grading, and finally selling graded set was $15K.

B.T.W. --- As I got into dimes, nickels, and other modern coins the past 5 years I have done well with the raw coins. I now use a incandescent lamp to check for details and hits. Rotating a morgan in that light will show any signs of cleaning most of the time. (thumbs u

I don't routinely buy dipped coins, even when they're in a slab and have a grade. You've been collecting a while, must have have seen lots of Morgans, and most certainly recognize a bad dip when you see one. A lot of us try to convince ourselves that our eyes can't be trusted, buy anyway, then feign shock when we get "Genuine" or "Details" back. I don't have a great eye, but if my first thought when I look at a coin is that it's been dipped, 99% of the time it has been and 99% of the time "Details" is a grading fee away. The Morgan in the photo is a no-doubt-about it "Details" coin.

Hi!

I am new to numismatics. Being a novice, I may not know if the coin is improperly cleaned or will end up as details. Is it worth sending the coin for certification and grading?

Thanks!