• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1861 Seated Liberty Quarter

10 posts in this topic

This coin looks to have pretty good strike and details, I don't readily see any wear on the leg, arm, or breast. I don't have the best vision though. I am betting it has luster, but I don't know for sure.

Think I am betting on a losing horse?

1861_SLQ.jpg

IMO, I have no idea about originality, eye appeal, luster, etc..

What I can conclude without question from looking at the pictures above is that the coin is NOT uncirculated.. That's my thought and I am rock solid firm on it.

In looking at it again, I am guessing it is likely a high XF to AU53 coin. I think the reason you aren't seeing wear is because it isn't just on the high points, it is uniformly distributed on almost the entire devices... although minor, it is definitely there. I think the toning is also what makes this coin look the way it does...

You know, after you posted that opinion I went and looked closer at some other examples and I do believe you are right. I was ruling out even wear since I thought the stars looked a bit more defined than on various other pieces, but as I said my eyes are not the best and I really need to buy some new glasses.

In the process of looking at other examples I saw one that I think I would really like to have but I can bet it would end up bringing hard money. A MS64 with CAC. That CAC drives me away from quite a few coins. Not that they are not deserving but I just say, "Why bother?". (shrug)

I purchased it but did not submit it. I decided to keep it as a raw circulated coin in my cabinet so I can pull it out every now and then and hold it instead of a slab of plastic.

I am quite certain it would get a details opinion if submitted.

My guess and that's what it is because I can't access the luster is that this piece falls in the AU-55 range. I can see an overall rub on the surfaces, which takes it out of the Mint State grades, but there is a lot "meat" and apparent luster around the edges. I'm guessing that there is impaired luster in the fields.

There is actually impaired luster all over. I think the piece had been dipped a number of times throughout the years and possibly polished.

That what is seen in that photo is not a good representation of the coin as it was the sellers photo. It does much to try and conceal the scratches on the coin.

The coin photo was posted more as a tribute to a 'rant' posted elsewhere a day or two before than any other reason. I guess I will just chuckle to myself when I read the opening as I doubt another thread needs to be devoted to the individual. They get enough advertizing as it is. ;)