• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forget ebay - I am going to start buying my coins from Sears!

16 posts in this topic

Sears usually inflates the asking prices considerably. I don't exactly keep track of the market on 1799 eagles, but I think the coin is probably priced about $8k-$10k above the piece's value.

Sears usually inflates the asking prices considerably. I don't exactly keep track of the market on 1799 eagles, but I think the coin is probably priced about $8k-$10k above the piece's value.

:facepalm:

If it gets scratched, will the Sears repairman come out to fix it? (Sears is just the advertising vehicle - Tangible Investments is the one selling.)

Yes it was just tongue and cheek coming from someone who grew up in an era when Sears, JC Penney, Woolworths, etc were the places your mom took you to buy clothes to go back to school.

Not to buy coins. ;)

Noticed this a while back and never thought much about it but I never thought I would see Sears advertise and sell coins.

Sears has been selling coins for decades. When I was a kid, they included them in their Christmas catalogs (i.e. generic gold). I don't remember any 18th century gold though.

Sears has been selling coins for decades. When I was a kid, they included them in their Christmas catalogs (i.e. generic gold). I don't remember any 18th century gold though.

I never would have known that. I must have been 100% oblivious to coins in general then because getting the Sears and Radio Shack catalogs for Christmas was always a long awaited and exciting time. We would look through those things for hours and hours just wishing.

I never would have known that. I must have been 100% oblivious to coins in general then because getting the Sears and Radio Shack catalogs for Christmas was always a long awaited and exciting time. We would look through those things for hours and hours just wishing.

And that was also part of the basis for my comments about being high. Sears would commonly mark-up the coins over what the large national coin sellers were selling them for. I want to say 15-20% or so, but it was a LONG, LONG time ago. I haven't looked at any of their catalogs in the last few years.

Bill, in your defense, when Kenny "was a kid" was like 10 years ago. lol

I'm older than that, but yes, by coin collector standards, I am fairly young. I am in my upper 20s. For the record though, Sears was selling coins long before my birth.

WOW! I had NO IDEA that they still did this; I thought that this was something from a bygone era, such as buying coins at Woolworth's department store.

I thought Kenny was the same age as me. Maybe I am confusing him with someone else that collects (with a passion) 1966 SMS Cameo coins. (shrug)

Well, Kenny brought back a good memory I haven't thought about for a long time and that was the Sears and other catalogues that my siblings and I would have to "share" .. hahahaha!

Of course we had a Christmas tree back then that was nothing but silver leafs (for the lack of a better word) and there was this fan looking device that you would plug in and set it in front of the tree and the blade would slowly rotate through different colors and reflect off the tree.

Those old antique trees are worth money these days.

I thought Kenny was the same age as me. Maybe I am confusing him with someone else that collects (with a passion) 1966 SMS Cameo coins. (shrug)

Well, Kenny brought back a good memory I haven't thought about for a long time and that was the Sears and other catalogues that my siblings and I would have to "share" .. hahahaha!

Of course we had a Christmas tree back then that was nothing but silver leafs (for the lack of a better word) and there was this fan looking device that you would plug in and set it in front of the tree and the blade would slowly rotate through different colors and reflect off the tree.

Those old antique trees are worth money these days.

If he collects SMS cameos, you're probably thinking of Sam (CoinDude).

I'm older than that, but yes, by coin collector standards, I am fairly young. I am in my upper 20s. For the record though, Sears was selling coins long before my birth.

My apologies, I thought you were 25-26 years old. And, it was just a joke -- I'm 35 and I still feel "young" in this hobby. :grin:

Compared to the average coin collector, we're both babies! lol

And, it was just a joke -- I'm 35 and I still feel "young" in this hobby. :grin:

In this hobby, if you are too young to run for president or just did make the age threshold, you're still a young numismatist. ;)