• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK!! posted by Eagles-R-it

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

LAST WEEKS DREW GREAT DIALOGUE.

If you have a certified coin MS or PF70, and after some time it develops toning or hazing or spots. Is this coin still considered a 70, and should it or should it not receive the same value at a sale? I ask this because it has happened to me and probably most all of you too. So if it still should attain a 70 value, then should not a coin exhibiting small toning or hazing or spots, in otherwise perfect condition be graded a 70 also??????????

Thank you all. Believe it or not these questions are of a great help to me learning our great hobby. I have only been at this since the late 60s, early 70s.

Lets get the discussion going.

I just realized something. When I turn 69 in a couple of years, do you think I may make a 70 grade?

OOPS!!! sorry this is way more than one question.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

In theory, if a coin wouldn't or shouldn't have been graded 70 if it had originally exhibited such toning, hazing or spots, the delayed presence of them should disqualify it from that grade. So in many cases, the coin should no longer be considered a 70. Likewise, the value at sale would likely be negatively affected.

You can only be "MS70" if you will fit in a plastic coin slab. Otherwise, enjoy your depth of knowledge that makes the kiddies with a phone stuck in their ear wince.

Toning/tarnish is environmental; spotting could be either environmental or production related.

My findings of recent querries re: the stickers of the third party graders, CAC, PQ and others, has told me that:

Coins are graded in order of 'perfectness'. If a Morgan can have its value greatly increased with toning, why not gold.

The reason gold 'TONES' is because the gold eagle is NOT 100% gold. It IS a full ounce of pure .999 fine gold, but it also has silver and copper in it to make it harder so it won't wear. Check the weight of your coin in NGC's guide. The Krugerand is another example of adding copper, just look at its color. It has more copper than our AGE's but none-the-less it is a full ounce and will get a copper 'tone'.

I have a perfect example. One of my WTC coins has clear 'toning' or 'spots' as some like to say. Is mine unique and worth more due to 'toning'? In this case I would say no because its value is in the label and the fact it was graded 70. Nothing has happened to the coin since grading except aging and a beauty mark.

I had many silver PF70 eagles with spots, and there was no trouble selling them.

Don't give it a sweat. If a collector truely wants it, he'll buy it, and if you have it in your collection, brag about it, It's unique.

Capt. Brian

The Lost Navigator

...also, weigh your coins carefully to be sure the gold has not interacted with any neutrinos.

Toning or Spotting as Mark said above will bring a 70 grade down!!

Others refer to toned coins getting high dollar returns. We are talking MS67*'s and MS68*'s.

You should not find a toned MS70 as it is stated in the grading process that a perfect coin with toning will lose a point ----- MS69 and PF69. So you see, the difference between a PF69UC and PF70UC is not as hard to tell with 8 or 10 of them lying next to each other. :)

I recall the authentication companies do not call MS 70 "perfect." They seem to part from Dr. Sheldon's definition.