• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878-CC

13 posts in this topic

I don't know if its the pics, but something about the fields of this coin doesn't look right to me. It looks to have been cleaned and some possible environmental damage. I think it might get BodyBagged.

That is tough from those photos. To me anyway.

The top leaves on that olive branch the eagle is holding look like there is no separation and just one clump all together. I glanced at the VAM's for that year/mm and didn't see a listing, but as I said I just glanced.

If your not aware of VAM's (study of die variations) you can read up HERE for that year/mm

It's hard on a coin like that cause I see what Bobby is talking about, my first thought was that it looks cleaned or something. .. but I definately dont see any wear, so I would say if it is problem-free you could definately get your MS62 on it. .. hard to tell from those pics

I agree with Bobby. The surfaces look flat. The toning is around the devices, but not in the fields. It doesn't look natural. Yet, I don't see any hairlines. It's really hard for me to judge the coin from the pictures.

I don't believe it has been cleaned I bought it from a forum member and I think they would have disclosed it if so. He said it should be 62 and 64 if a good day.

Im sending it in for grading tomorrow so ill cross my fingers. thanks for the opinions its actually my first CC.

chris

It looks like a broken 4th star and long nock which would limit the VAM to a 4 or 22, neither of which NGC assigns a variety designation.

The pictures make it difficult to evaluate this one, but will guess it receives a 61

I don't see wear but I don't see a bit of luster. We're all hoping it's a byproduct of your photography skills.

The toning encircling the stars, around the eagle and Ms. Liberty don't do the coin any favors. It could come back mint state. If so I can't imagine it being more than 62.

I am not seeing luster from your photos, and there appears what could be circulation rub on the cheek. The fields are very clean, but I am going to guess AU58. I hope you do get your MS grade.

I don't see any overt signs of wear, but the pictures are really not helping your case here. With proper lighting and focus, this coin could be anywhere from AU-55 to MS-64 - no one can accurately give a grade based on those pictures.