• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW WOW WOW - Great Coin in a BLACK SLAB!

33 posts in this topic

I wonder if the CAC gold bean actually hurts the value of the plastic... If I am going to buy an expensive piece of plastic, I wouldn't want adhesive all over it!

But it is a great coin! ;)

I looked up the approximate value of that coin in MS65, MS66 and MS67...in order to support that price, it should really be cracked out and re-graded at the lovely TPG of the person's choice. That is a TON of money above MS65, that's for sure. Heck, it is a good bit of money above MS67.

Crack Crack Crack! :devil:

I wonder if the CAC gold bean actually hurts the value of the plastic... If I am going to buy an expensive piece of plastic, I wouldn't want adhesive all over it!

My guess is that both the black holder and the gold sticker add considerable "value". But if you think the sticker hurts, just remove it. ;)

My guess is that both the black holder and the gold sticker add considerable "value". But if you think the sticker hurts, just remove it. ;)

And risk scuffing the black holder? :devil:;)

On another note, I meant that as a genuine question and not as a cheap shot. I hope it came off as the former and not the latter.

And risk scuffing the black holder? :devil:;)

On another note, I meant that as a genuine question and not as a cheap shot. I hope it came off as the former and not the latter.

When the coin was auctioned previously, it brought roughly three times (or more than $10,000 more than) the price of a non-CAC, non-black holder coin. I have to think that the sticker accounted for a very large portion of the premium.

When the coin was auctioned previously, it brought roughly three times (or more than $10,000 more than) the price of a non-CAC, non-black holder coin. I have to think that the sticker accounted for a very large portion of the premium.

I have to think it was much more likely that the beautiful coin itself accounted for a much larger portion of the premium than the sticker or even more than the NGC black holder. Wasn't that tough of a call to look at this one and think it wouldn't look out of place in an MS66 or better holder and many potential bidders were capable of figuring that out regardless of the sticker.

Well, the price isn't silly if it is sold at that level. People love those old holders (black, doily or whatever). It is what it is. The price is very high for most of us but there are a few who drive the market.

To each their own....

jom

t's nice and I think the NGC Black #1 is mega-cool but the coin is worth about 15K (with the gold CAC), so you're basically paying 10K for the plastic. No thanks. PLUS the same coin (sticker and all) sold for just over 17K a mere 2 years ago!!! 25K is way overpriced IMHO.

In PCGS 66+ this coin in 25-35K. In PCGS 67 this coin is 60k. So will someone roll the dice. I fear the answer is yes. Another black slab could bite the dust.

I haven't seen the coin but I've been told it's a real real good shot 66+ with a claim to67 because of the outstanding eye appeal

Mark

Word on the street is that the Gold Bean is endowed only to coins that CAC believe are two grades higher, so.......... Problem is, to get the 67 it has to be cracked and regraded. That would destroy abit of the cachet here.

Best, HT

Word on the street is that the Gold Bean is endowed only to coins that CAC believe are two grades higher, so.......... Problem is, to get the 67 it has to be cracked and regraded. That would destroy abit of the cachet here.

Best, HT

The gold sticker signifies that CAC believes the coin is under-graded by a minimum of one grade. It does not necessarily signify an under-grade of "two grades higher".

Black Labs make great pets.
A little too hyper for my taste. I prefer Greyhounds. They are great around kids, loud noises, do not shed much, do not generally bark much at all, do not slobber much at all, they have a high metabolism so they don't have any weight problems, they just need a good walk in the morning and evening and they can sleep all day! Their average life is 12-14 years. There is nothing like taking them to a fenced in elementary or middle school on the weekend ..or large dog park...letting them off the leash and watching them FLY! :)

What were we talking about again?

Best, HT

The gold sticker signifies that CAC believes the coin is under-graded by a minimum of one grade. It does not necessarily signify an under-grade of "two grades higher".

JA told me on the phone that they only gold sticker "obvious" (his words) upgrades. So you are correct it is NOT necessarily two grades higher.

The only way to know with this coin is to see it in hand and KNOW what you are doing with the series and type.

jom

Best, HT

What it means on paper (or their website) and how it's actually applied are two different things.

While a gold sticker isn't guaranteed undergraded by 2 points -- CAC is very conservative assigning a gold sticker to coins that it truly thinks are only undergraded by exactly one grade. This is evidenced by the many coins that have been green stickered at grade X, and then also green stickered at grade X+1. I have even seen examples of coins that were green stickered at grade X, and again green stickered at grade X + 2. Of course you know all of these things...

Except greyhounds keep chasing buses....and slobber is part of the "charm" if you want to call it that.... :)

Except greyhounds keep chasing buses....and slobber is part of the "charm" if you want to call it that.... :)
I have had three Greyhounds, all of which were awesome animals. One of them was NOT small animal safe so the leash was very important for her. One time during a walk she noticed a very tasty cat in the neighborhood, stopped, pointed and wanted to give chase. A little while later, I had someone at the house doing work. I told the person whatever they did, be very careful with the doors and don't let the dogs out. He was a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person and forgot. He had to go back to his truck for something, swung the door wide open and *poof*....swooooooosh, there went a Greyhound after her "snack" about a quarter mile away in the neighborhood. I grabbed the leash, ran the quarter mile as fast as I could and found that my loving Greyhound had successfully pinned a tasty kitty under a car.

Had I not known where my dog was going, I would have had a big problem on my hands. Greyhounds run with blinders on during races literally and then figuratively as well once they are adopted, they are not street smart animals and can be crushed crossing any street. Anyway, I put the leash on her, encouraged her to go home and then I scolded the insufficiently_thoughtful_person worker at my house. He almost cried. :roflmao:

For giggles, the other coins on the submittal

Date/Info: 1878

Denomination: 3CN

Grade: PF 65

Date/Info: 1882

Denomination: 3CN

Date/Info: 1866

Denomination: H10C

Grade: PF 64

Date/Info: 1835

Denomination: 25C

Grade: AU 58

Date/Info: 1882

Grade: PF 66

Date/Info: 1939

Date/Info: 1942

Grade: PF 64

Date/Info: 1881 S

Denomination: S$1

Grade: MS 65

Date/Info: 1881 S

Denomination: S$1

Date/Info: 1936 NORFOLK

Denomination: 50C

Grade: MS 66

Grade: MS 64

For what it's worth, here's my half cent (since I don't think my opinion is worth a full 2 cents):

1. From the pics, the coin looks to be a technical 66. With today's market grading, given its eye appeal, I could easily see it in a 67 holder.

2. A gold sticker means CAC thinks it's undergraded by at least one point; but gold stickers routinely bring prices equivalent to 2-3 points higher than the grade on the slab. The black slab carries a premium.

3. The coin has previously sold for many multiples of what a 65 would sell for.

4. The NGC retail price guide for a 67 is $26,000 and CRO's prices tend to be high anyway.

5. Given the above, $25,000 isn't wholly unreasonable given the state of the market (for good or ill)

6. Whoever buys it should leave it as is and should not try to cross it. I mean, an NGC black slab with a gold sticker is almost as good as a new PCGS holder with a green sticker right...so why risk it :devil:

For what it's worth, here's my half cent (since I don't think my opinion is worth a full 2 cents):

1. From the pics, the coin looks to be a technical 66. With today's market grading, given its eye appeal, I could easily see it in a 67 holder.

2. A gold sticker means CAC thinks it's undergraded by at least one point; but gold stickers routinely bring prices equivalent to 2-3 points higher than the grade on the slab. The black slab carries a premium.

3. The coin has previously sold for many multiples of what a 65 would sell for.

4. The NGC retail price guide for a 67 is $26,000 and CRO's prices tend to be high anyway.

5. Given the above, $25,000 isn't wholly unreasonable given the state of the market (for good or ill)

6. Whoever buys it should leave it as is and should not try to cross it. I mean, an NGC black slab with a gold sticker is almost as good as a new PCGS holder with a green sticker right...so why risk it :devil:

I must disagree with the part in #2 above which reads "but gold stickers routinely bring prices equivalent to 2-3 points higher than the grade on the slab". Sometimes or occasionally, but not "routinely".