• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Popular Collectibles That Never Paid Off

34 posts in this topic

I'm sure, if I thought about it long enough, I could come up with smoeone I know that made money on every item this guy pooh-poohs......

A barmaid friend of mine studies trends and tries to beat the market on every hot Christmas toy to come around. She's very good at recognizing the winners and manages to get in on the ground floor often. I remember, back in the day, she made a small fortune on Cabbage Patch Kids......She followed that with 'Tickle-MeElmo'....It was fun to listen to her escapades.

It was mentioned that Beanie Babies weren't on the list. A dealer friend made over 6 figures on those darn things.

Anything can be a good investment. You just don't want to be the one still buying tulip bulbs when others have started moving them to the curb.

Paul

I think the "Collectible Coins and Plates" refers to the plates/spoons/state quarter garbage that was sold on the US Mint website and by TV hucksters.

I have made plenty of money off of Baseball Cards, Collectible Coins, Original Star Wars action figures from the late 70s and early 80s, Comic Books and 1980s Transformers.

You clearly have to be a lot smarter than this guy, Dave, though! :roflmao:

Agreed. You can make money off of Baseball Cards, Star Wars action figures from the late 70s and early 80s, Comic Books and 1980s Transformers.

The author is probably basing his story on the stereotypical 90s baseball cards,comics, and action figures.

The 90s were overproduced junk, but that was 20 to 25 years year ago!

So much has changed then, and if you know what your doing you can make money!

I bet this author never heard of The Walking Dead comics or Tom Brady rookie cards. (shrug)

I have never seen or heard of an advisor who markets Wall Street type investments ever say anything good about collecting coins. For them coins are competition.

Having said that, I would not recommend coins as an investment vehicle either, especially for the average person who knows nothing about grading, eye appeal and history. Most of the people who do well with coins financially are collectors or dealers who love or enjoy the hobby.

Still looking at his list, there are a lot of financial losers there, especially the Hummel figures and from my perspective stamps, which died years ago.

Bill, there are several investment email newsletters that promote coins. A few even have affiliation with David Hall. There is a company out of Baltimore called Agora, which publishes several investment newsletters and has a promotional relationship with Agora. Here is just an example of one of their free newsletters with Hall and Van Simmons: http://www.dailywealth.com/2948/the-secrets-of-creating-wealth-outside-the-stock-market

It should be noted, however, that most of the individuals running these investment newsletters are not really certified to do so. They are not registered financial planners nor can they broker any trades.

Edited to add: Here's another example which is more focused on gold coins from 2006: http://www.dailywealth.com/1110/a-one-time-opportunity-in-vintage-gold-coins

Pfffttttt...... Vintage rookie sports cards are at an all time high.

I just consigned to a June auction and I fully expect a six figure hammer. I'm into these cards for considerably less. A lot were bought in the past 5 years.

Mark

If you have the RIGHT cards, yes you RE 100% CORRECT.

However, my Albert Pujols # 1 of 25, SIGNED, PSA 10 MINT Topps Limited Edition, I paid $525 in 2003, sold it for $108 in 2009. That one transaction soured me on baseball cards, so I blew them out to this kid from Santa Barbara, CA who has his mother write the check. Thank goodness that check cleared.

CAL who gave up on cards in 2009